School Me On Brisket & Rib Purchasing!

bbqisfun

Reaction score
We have smoked pulled pork quite a bit but I think I'd like to branch out and try some other stuff. I've never ever done brisket or ribs and have absolutely no idea how to buy them.

I notice that briskets come in different quality cuts (I think?) but have no clue what I should get and where the best place to get them is.

Same thing with ribs.

I'm guessing Costco would be a good place, but if you guys can give me some direction on what to look for, that would be great.

Thanks!

Costco is great for brisket. They offer a low price and they're Prime. I try to stay between 12-13 lbs. Easier to manage the small packers, plus I've read that smaller packers mean younger moo cows and thus more tender perhaps.

Ribs, Costco is OK...but I'd go with Restaurant Depot for ribs. I'm not a fan of Swift from Costco much. RD also has St. Louis cut ribs. All you have to do is remove the membrane if you prefer and you're ready to roll.

I just go to HEB or Brookshire Bros. and some times Walfarts for beef only as all their pig products have been juiced and Blu do go down that trail.

Brisket: look for "whole" or "untrimmed" brisket. These are noticably larger and the bottom side will be all fat. You get a better price/pound this way versus buying a trimmed flat. Since you haven't cooked one before don't get too caught up on getting the highest grade.

If you need any tips on how to smoke it, Bludawg will jump back on here momentarily with his method.

Thanks for the replies and the links! After reading more, I was wondering if it's possible to just buy a brisket "flat" which I guess is the leaner part. Do they sell just the flat, or do you have to buy the whole thing?

You can try the flat, but will pay more per pound. Sometimes they trim too much also. Another reason to buy a full packer. Check total price for each and I'll bet you can almost get a big packer for the cost of a good sized flat.

Plus, you will miss the best part of the brisket, point cut into cubes of tasty tender beef.

Thanks for the replies and the links! After reading more, I was wondering if it's possible to just buy a brisket "flat" which I guess is the leaner part. Do they sell just the flat, or do you have to buy the whole thing?

You can buy flats, thats all some folks can find. I dont recommend it unless the price is right. a store by me charges 8 bucks or more a pound, for that price id rather have steak. In addition the best part of a brisket is the point

Great replies, thanks everyone. I'll get something this weekend and start a thread with the pics of what we cook!

So my question is, should I buy a point if I can find it, or flat. (I want to work on my techniques in a costly manner.)

Costco is great for brisket. They offer a low price and they're Prime. I try to stay between 12-13 lbs. Easier to manage the small packers, plus I've read that smaller packers mean younger moo cows and thus more tender perhaps.

Ribs, Costco is OK...but I'd go with Restaurant Depot for ribs. I'm not a fan of Swift from Costco much. RD also has St. Louis cut ribs. All you have to do is remove the membrane if you prefer and you're ready to roll.

Maybe your Costco. Here in TN, costco wants about $6/lb (typically a consistent $1.50/lb more than everywhere else in town), and they refuse to carry whole packers, and they do NOT carry Prime -- choice only. Flats under 10lbs only.

Remember, EVERYTHING is regional. Luckily you and OP are in TX, so that's convenient and probably will work out fine, but availability of brisket is such a fragmented and regional thing overall to the point that saying "Costco is fine" is not likely to be true in a lot of places.

Look for whole untrimmed packer briskets. Look for a floppy/flexible flat with decent uniform thickness(this isn't always possible...part of the flat will be thinner). Then just cook it whole until its probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. Rest then eat.

My store of choice is COSTCO. Good product have not been disappointed.

Step 1 - get one with as many little fat streaks as possible. This applies to both brisket and ribs.

That's it, really.

Just bought a 15+ lbs whole, point/flat brisket, USDA 'Select', from Wallyworld for under 3 bucks a pound.

Also got a small package of Dinosaur Bones for $2.64 lbs.

As soon as I seen`em, I knew what I was doing one day this weekend.

In terms of ribs, I look for ribs labeled without added solution i.e. non-enhanced.
I then look for plenty of meat over the bones, without thick layers of fat. Here are some I chose a week or so ago.
spares_zps0319a520.jpg

Back