Is it possible to be a free-lance pit master?

Monkey Uncle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm relatively new around here and haven't really gotten to know you guys yet. So I hope you don't mind me picking your brains for advice before I've taken the time to help anyone else out.

I'm planning/hoping to retire early in a few years (well, technically it will be called "quitting" since I won't be old enough to officially retire). I've run the numbers quite a bit, and I think I could do it without having any earned income. But I'll only be about 50, so it's a little scary to think of living solely off of investment returns for the 12-15 years before Social Security and my piddling pension kick in.

You probably know where this is going - I'm an avid backyard pit master, and my friends and relatives all rave about the tastiness of my Q. I'd like nothing better than to take up part-time barbecuing once I leave the rat race.

I have zero interest in the restaurant business and full-service catering business. Those two avenues involve a lot of stuff that I don't care for, such as making food that isn't barbecue, working 80 hrs a week, cleaning public bathrooms, and hiring/firing/yelling at employees. I'm also thinking that competition Q is out; it looks like a good way to make a small fortune out of a large one.

So here's my question to you: is it possible to be a free-lance pit master? Maybe sub-contract to a caterer on an as-needed basis? Or hire out to private parties where the hosts take care of everything but the Q? Do any of you do anything similar to this?

Or would it be possible to run a scaled-down version of a food truck or a walk-up stand without hiring employees? And would I be able to make any money at this just doing it on a part-time/when I feel like it basis?

I know I'm not asking for much. :roll: Thanks in advance.

You sure can and would probably be fun depending on who you wor for. You would basically be an employee for the day and they would have to order all foods and you prep in their kitchen. Otherwise you would have all the expense of your own catering business and would be required to have some sort of inspected kitchen in most states.

The big question is would a caterer or venue want to pay you more than line cook wages? I can't believe they would or could afford to pay much more than minimum wages. Even at the new $10 min wage you wouldn't be making more than $7 or so an hour after taxes. But I know that not having something to do, at any age, will drive you crazy.

I hadn't really thought of it from the standpoint of working for an hourly wage. I agree, working for line cook wages probably wouldn't be worth it. At the current minimum wage of $7.25, working 20 hrs/wk would gross about $7,500/yr, and that's assuming there is work available every week of the year. I'd probably need to net at least 10 grand a year to make it worthwhile.

I was thinking more of working on a fixed price contract basis. If I supplied the meat and sauce, would that require me to have access to a commercial kitchen? I realize that probably varies by locality; I'm just looking for opinions based on your experience.

Thanks, guys.

I've contracted out to other caterer's. But there's very little money in it. A caterer can't offer a competitive price paying the BBQ guy and her own staff. And, if you're a contractor, in many states you'd be required to have your own license and permits not to mention insurance.

I think some of you are looking at this wrong. If you go talk to a caterer and I don't mean barbecue caterer I mean full blown high end caterer you will find that they (unlike 90% of barbecue caterers) don't have an issue charging big money to cater for clients. Many of which have a clientele who would pay them $25pp for a barbecue event yet would not pay a barbecue guy $12pp. If you charged the caterer 15 hours for prep, cook and pit clean up at $20 per hour they would have $300 for your service. Many of them are charging this kind of fee for the chefs in their kitchen anyways. It's worth your time to touch base with a few of these caterers to offer the service.

This is all about packaging and as HBMTN says, choose your market wisely. There are an increasing number of wedding, anniversary and graduation bbq events that easily hire out at $30 a head or more, money can be made. Some things...

1. Get your own pit, a large one of professional quality.
2. Get Servsafe Certified, be a pro at handling and cooking food.
3. Develop a very clear contract, and really get into who is providing and storing food etc...
4. Finally, you better really enjoy and be good at cooking, if all you are doing is bringing the meat, it has to be good enough that they have to want you.

It can totally be done. If you're smart enough and disciplined enough to retire at 50, you can do this.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Although I'm several years out yet, it's never too early to start planning. Sounds like the first thing I need to do is to start getting to know some caterers in the area.

A couple of you mentioned that the quality of the Q must be top-rate. This is something I've been thinking about a lot. Not to brag, but in my opinion, my BBQ is the best I've ever eaten. And I've eaten in a lot of BBQ restaurants in my time. There are two other BBQ caterers/vendors in town, and I think mine is easily better than theirs (one typically serves his re-heated, and the other has some kind of funny flavor in his seasoning). BUT -- I've never cooked for more than about 25 people at a time. I'm careful to maintain a reasonably steady low/slow pit temp (no small feat with my current COS), I always pull the meat at the optimal internal temp for balance between moisture and tenderness, I don't pick or slice until we're ready to eat, I serve the meat promptly while it's still hot, and I minimize exposure to air after the meat is picked/sliced. I'm a bit apprehensive about whether I'll be able to maintain such quality control when cooking for a much larger crowd. I guess the only way to know is to practice on large crowds.

That is backyard Q, the guests wait for you.
Pro Q, you wait on the guests. The timetable is reversed.

Later,
Doug

Not to brag, but in my opinion, my BBQ is the best I've ever eaten. And I've eaten in a lot of BBQ restaurants in my time. There are two other BBQ caterers/vendors in town, and I think mine is easily better than theirs

That only makes you human and truth be known most everyone on this forum probably feels the same way about their BBQ. When I first started competition barbecue I felt that way. Before turn in time on that first Saturday morning we traded some samples with the team beside us, it did not take but a taste to realize that I was way out of my league LOL We did come away that day with a 10th place walk for pork but looking back I don't know how. Our barbecue is 1000% better than it was back then but there is always better barbecue somewhere else on any given day no matter who you are. I'd suggest you try a competition or two if you want to get a good idea how your barbecue stacks up against others and don't compare it to a restaurant. Doing so will make you better in the long run. I don't care anymore if people think I have the best barbecue, I now care more about them looking at the total package of our business and decide we are the ones they want to hire. When it comes to running a successful business the barbecue is just one aspect of it. In other words the barbecue is the engine of a sports car but take into consideration the other aspects like steering, suspensions, braking system, aerodynamics etc when selecting a car to race in. The best engine in the world won't help you win the race if these other aspects suck.

Since I am one who said you need to have top quality Q, let me say this...

HBMTN is correct, in catering, you need to have it all. He is the pro here, doing it everyday, and his statement is 100% on.

Now...what I meant...

You say you intend to only vend meat to a caterer, this is the easiest track to getting into the BBQ business, in that all you intend to do is cook and deliver meat. That means, you have one product only, to make or break your business. To my way of thinking, that product needs to be great. Most caterers actually understand that food is just a small part of an event, and you can work around moderately good meat with great service and attentive attitude.

Cooking meat for clients is different than cooking meat for yourself. For one, you get to choose what you are eating and you paid for it, cooked it, tasted it etc...it is tailored to you. I happen to love my pulled pork product, but, I have had several people tell me it sucks. I taste it, it's fine...what's the problem? I don't sauce it right, or I chopped it, which means it is tough, or it's too smoky...every crowd is different. Beyond that, even in catering, you have to cook on the day you have to cook, so it rains, so it's freezing, so the charcoal doesn't light right...you promised 120 pounds of brisket on Saturday at 11:00am, well, you get it done. And that is what I mean, top notch BBQ, you get it done, you cook it consistently, you cater to your clients...it can be rewarding.

Cooking meat for clients is different than cooking meat for yourself. For one, you get to choose what you are eating and you paid for it, cooked it, tasted it etc...it is tailored to you. I happen to love my pulled pork product, but, I have had several people tell me it sucks. I taste it, it's fine...what's the problem? I don't sauce it right, or I chopped it, which means it is tough, or it's too smoky...every crowd is different. Beyond that, even in catering, you have to cook on the day you have to cook, so it rains, so it's freezing, so the charcoal doesn't light right...you promised 120 pounds of brisket on Saturday at 11:00am, well, you get it done. And that is what I mean, top notch BBQ, you get it done, you cook it consistently, you cater to your clients...it can be rewarding.

Thanks, landarc. This is exactly what I need to get a handle on - how to cook top quality meat in a production setting. I hope I didn't sound too smug when I talked about how good mine is. I do realize that everyone thinks their Q is the best, and that as incredible as it might seem, someone else may not think that mine is the best. I've eaten a lot of O.K. Q in production settings, so I think anyone who can figure out how to maintain good backyard quality while cooking/selling large quantities will have an edge.

While I think the idea of being a "hired gun" is cool and all. I think it's unrealistic. Unless you've got the credibility and resume to say you've headed up x bbq kitchen, or ran the pits at y joint. As a business owner, your resume isn't up to snuff. You'll be hard pressed to find a caterer who's going to pay you $200 a day for your work. And at the end of that day, he'll be making more money off your work then you will be. Not to discourage you. cooking for 25 people is a lot different then cooking for 200+ people.

Back