New Build: Chicken & Hog Cooker for a Brethren

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
First, thanks to ShencoSmoke for his recent thread regarding design of a dedicated hog cooker based on a concrete block pit.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201653

Based on the discussion Brethren kpq inquired if we could put something together for him with a couple of personal touches. He also wants to cook 1/2 chickens so he wanted a smaller grid spacing than ShencoSmoke was considering and he specifically wanted to fit a case of 40 chicken halves (20 birds) at a time. Here is what we came up with:

Double rotating cooking grates 36 inches X 60 inches (1 inch angle) sitting in a 34 inch X 62 inch (ID) frame (2 inch angle). The cooking grates are a larger size 1-1/2 inch X 3 inch, 9 gauge expanded metal (most folks are familiar with the 3/4 inch X 1-1/2 inch expanded metal used on a lot of cookers). This will sit on a concrete block pit (just shown here on saw horses).

2014-12-17133643_zps614ec88a.jpg

Fabricated removable lifting handles that serve double duty as locking pins out of 1/2 rod with spring handles, one in each corner that insert into 3/4 inch X 0.120 wall DOM tubing welded into the frame. Also shown are the bolts used to clamp the two cooking grates together to sandwich the meat.

2014-12-17133721_zps520dec1e.jpg

Super simple self centering pivot point, just a couple pieces of angle . The lower grate has a 3/4 inch axle for the pivot. You can load the grate with meat on a prep table, added to upper grate to sandwich the meat then lift in place with using the handles.

2014-12-17133712_zpsb1e136a3.jpg

To flip, just remove the handles/locking pins from one side and rotate with the handles on the other side.

2014-12-17133922_zps8941da25.jpg

2014-12-17133951_zpsfcb2fdff.jpg

The double grates clamped together weigh about 30 pounds. Started seasoning the grates with cooking oil and the weed burner today and will deliver to kpq on Friday. Hope to see some chickens cooking soon.

Thanks for looking.

Nice, thoughtful work, there, Dave!!! Can't wait to see it loaded up!

I like it!
except having to take those long bolt/wing nuts apart to get the done birds/hog out. Once greased up and HOT that is going to be a PIA in MHO. I would do that a bit different, but that's me.
Nice work..again :clap2:

I like it!
except having to take those long bolt/wing nuts apart to get the done birds/hog out. Once greased up and HOT that is going to be a PIA in MHO. I would do that a bit different, but that's me.
I have been thinking about that as well, but I haven't come up with any better ideas that are fully adjustable along the length of the clamp and also ensure 100% that the connection ain't gonna come undone when you flip this thing over when it is loaded with meat. I mean, I have some ideas, but none that don't interfere with the rotation or cost more than the whole rig itself to design and fab.

I like it!

I have been thinking about that as well, but I haven't come up with any better ideas that are fully adjustable along the length of the clamp and also ensure 100% that the connection ain't gonna come undone when you flip this thing over when it is loaded with meat. I mean, I have some ideas, but none that don't interfere with the rotation or cost more than the whole rig itself to design and fab.

Yea, I've thought about this a bunch too, just knew the bolts and wing nuts would work at least in the short term (delivery Friday). I've thought of options like tractor pins or clevis pins or some kind of spring thingy, but just have not been able to find anything better. The 3/8 inch bolts you see here are 6 inches long and have a retainer nut that holds them firmly to the lower grate; once to take the tension of the wing nut it spins freely and fast. I'm also supplying some 3 inch bolts; when it is used to cook chickens that should be plenty and help a little.

The nice thing about the wing nuts is they can be easily adjusted during a cook as the meat shrinks...things like pins have finite adjustability making it either too loose or too tight in some cases.

I think it will work just fine as-is since you are only dealing with it at the beginning and end of the cook.

Pretty dang cool! Looking forward to seeing pictures of that bad boy in action.

AWESOME!!! An update on mine: My local fabricator is "too busy" so I reached out to brother Garrett down in Gastonia to see if he is interested in building it. So mine may be being built soon as well! If Garrett is to busy I may be checking into shipping prices from Florida to Virginia......

Though I have not tried these in this application, I sure used them a lot over the years for quickly adjusting and holding a lot of weight and welding things together with fine adjustment and quick easy removal. Modified the ends with nuts/slots for easy adjustments when in tough/cramped conditions. Quick to add/remove. Just thinking off the top of my head. I know with bolts sticking into my smokers, after a short time it is very difficult to remove/adjust due to the build up on the threads. Though as with these clamps, or your bolts/wing nuts the threads could be cleaned after use. Should be plenty of room on the sides for these clamps to not interfere with the rotation. Clamping only at the very ends could/would leave the middle of the grates much looser. Just a thought.
For some reason the link does not work to good, select the
Squeeze-Action Toggle Plier Clamps

http://www.mcmaster.com/#clamping-pliers/=v2f26n

AWESOME!!! An update on mine: My local fabricator is "too busy" so I reached out to brother Garrett down in Gastonia to see if he is interested in building it. So mine may be being built soon as well! If Garrett is to busy I may be checking into shipping prices from Florida to Virginia......

Thanks, what did you decide to do for your grid? This is an interesting product folks down here use to make stallion stall doors:
http://www.mcnichols.com/product/3629250041?navCode=cc:sqopg&navCode=avc:wiremshwelded
This is a 3 inch grid, cold rolled steel product but it comes in a bunch of sizes. Just kinda pricey?

Thanks, what did you decide to do for your grid? This is an interesting product folks down here use to make stallion stall doors:
http://www.mcnichols.com/product/3629250041?navCode=cc:sqopg&navCode=avc:wiremshwelded
This is a 3 inch grid, cold rolled steel product but it comes in a bunch of sizes. Just kinda pricey?

still planning on using rod. got a price from the local metal shop for all the rod and all the square tube to make it, it was $230 (140 lf of 3/8 round and 50 lf of 1-1/4 tube. I like the grid in your link, but it may be too pricey. On the other hand, it saves on fabrication time so it may offset.

As far as locking the 2 grids together, maybe use a butterfly eye bolt such as this? Just affix the bolt to the lower grate so it swings freely, then notch the upper and lower grates so the bolt can swing upwards and secure with the wing nut. Could be fabricated pretty easily with a large diameter bolt and nut for easy handling with gloves. They also are called swing bolts I think...
20110815023305_X.jpg

As far as locking the 2 grids together, maybe use a butterfly eye bolt such as this? Just affix the bolt to the lower grate so it swings freely, then notch the upper and lower grates so the bolt can swing upwards and secure with the wing nut. Could be fabricated pretty easily with a large diameter bolt and nut for easy handling with gloves. They also are called swing bolts I think...
20110815023305_X.jpg

Thanks, those are VERY cool.

20110815023305_X.jpg
Yeah, we use this design on access doors that need a tight seal. Good call for using them here.

Weld wings onto the bolts just below the head. Now you can use the wings or a socket & speed handle to screw the bolt up and down.

Back