What Kind of Gasket and Where to Get It

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
My Old Country Brazos leaks smoke - and, presumably, heat - around the cc door and the firebox door. I think it's time to put some gasket material around both doors and maybe even some heat proof silicone caulking.

I searched and failed to find any post recommending what products to use or where to obtain them. Searching Amazon turned up Nomex and Rutland stove gasket cement. The Nomex (Lavalock brand name) claims to be a peel and stick product. Will this actually stick and stay in place, or do I need to bed it in the Rutland cement product? What other products are out there that I should consider? What has worked best for you?

From observation, it seems I need gasket material at least 1" wide. Does it come in black (to match the painted steel)? Should the gasket and sealant be put on the doors or on the chambers themselves? What is the best place to purchase the gasket and gasket cement (Amazon Prime saves shipping and credits The Brethren)?

What do I need to know that I haven't been smart enough to ask about?

TIA

Once you get to invisible smoke you won't even notice the leaks......

I work for a textile company and we have a lot of scrap nomex and aramid laying around. I just re did the gaskets on my 270 with the nomex using the RTV red adhesive stuff and it adhered perfectly. The strips i have are about 2" wide and 3/16 inches thick in various lengths. If you want some PM me how much you need (length) and your address and I'll drop some in the mail for you.

ax3_zps2mspelsn.jpg

ax2_zpsytstfu2r.jpg

AX1_zpshuc3sbu3.jpg

Mine is the lighter color but it doesn't bother me. it works; all that matters.

Ive used nomex on my Green Mountain Grill. As long as the area you are putting the stick and peel gasket is clean and dry it will stay put. And bond will get better once the pit is a bit warm from a cook. Get the darker color nomex because smoke will discolor lighter color.

I've had good luck with the peel n stick Lavalock. Make sure to follow the instructions and prep (clean) the surface well. That's good advice no matter what you use. Be wary of the fiberglass woodstove gasket. I've re-gasketed a few wood stoves and a fireplace insert with it. It "sheds" glass fibers for a while and you don't want to eat or serve that!

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions!

I got some adhesive backed Nomex via Amazon and put it on. I didn't smoke anything this weekend and don't know if this solved the problem, but I'm confident that it will. I think now that I've done something, I will forget about leaks like SmittyJonz suggested.:grin:

You've gotta love the Brethren. I got the very kind offer from wmarkw in Georgia to send me some Nomex free of charge. Thank you, Brother. I had placed my order before I saw your offer. Know that your kindness and generosity are appreciated.

best to all ...

Back