Pro BBQ Steroids

csmcvey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anybody tried these products before? If so, thoughts?

I wonder if it is similar to some of the other pepper syrups our on the market.

Ingredients for the cherry syrup look to be corn syrup, sugar, vinegar, jalapeno peppers, and cherry flavoring.

Jeff suggests that many of the top level teams are using products like these to give the edge - give them that extra bump in flavor.

I'm on Roids :shock: I've never used the other pepper syrups but I'm told it is similar. It adds a nice amount of back end heat to my sauce to really balance it out. I'm convinced that this has helped cure my "Sits" from 2014. In the two contests I've done this year, I've had five top 6 calls and my first GC. I've made some other changes to recipes this year as well, but you better believe that I'm going to be using Steroids from now on!

I've heard about it. I don't personally know anyone using them but I do find the concept intriguing and might some day try it on a test cook. Like anything I think it should be a subtle flavor boost. Anything a bit too heavy will surely offend someone.

we have tried them out in both chicken sauce and rib sauce... I liked the flavors but like mentioned earlier, be careful with them a little goes a long way, and you also have to watch the since it is a thinner liquid it will change the consistency of your sauce.

The over the top preachy nature of the brand is a bit off-putting. Would probably not use.

The over the top preachy nature of the brand is a bit off-putting. Would probably not use.

You know... I was turned off by that at first, but then met Jeff at a competition and heard his story. Jeff is a class act, and is a great guy to talk to a be around. He is 100% dedicated to his cause and to BBQ.

Oh yea.... BINGO!!! :clap2:

Jeff was at my first ever contest. Same here. Heard his story and he is the real deal.

He offered to give me pointers as soon as he learned it was my first contest. Even offered to let me have some of his "secret" pork injection haha.

Class act all the way. Love what he's doing for the Lord and bbq.

I don't see the need to use it, but I get the idea. If it was offered to me, I might try it on a test cook or two. But it sure won't convert me.

If the product works and it is able to get the judges to like the turn in better, why in the crap would anyone care about what religion the creator touts or how preachy he is?

To each his own I guess....on both ends of the spectrum.
Have faith or don't. Buy the products or don't. TRY the products or don't.
I guess I personally just don't understand that thinking that one wouldn't use the products (that others have used and had success with) just because the guy who came up with them thinks differently than they do.

:noidea:

I say this, of course, as someone who's actually met Jeff in person with an open mind, who has had many many conversations with him and has decided not to pass judgement on the man based only on the words he says, who calls him a good friend......oh yeah, and who has held "Cook's Church" at more than 25 competitions in the last 12 months himself.

So maybe I'm biased. :laugh:

Here here Wampus. Personally, I'd be happy if no one else tried steroids....more prize money for the rest of us :)

Jeff was at my first ever contest. Same here. Heard his story and he is the real deal.

He offered to give me pointers as soon as he learned it was my first contest. Even offered to let me have some of his "secret" pork injection haha.

Class act all the way. Love what he's doing for the Lord and bbq.

Ditto. Competed against him on BBQ Pittmasters. I will try it because his name is on it.

Purely from a marketing perspective - not sure that choosing to model a food product image on a dangerous illegal drug used to by athletes to cheat is a wise move. Personally I find the idea of eating something dosed from a prescription bottle labeled "Steriods" kind of creepy.

But then again there are lots of hot sauce brands with unappealing labels that seem to sell well, so who knows.

Love how it went from "has anyone tried these products.." to I refuse to buy it because it says Give it to God or it's in a script bottle...If you have never tried it or don't plan on buying it, leave well enough alone, find something else to post about.

Love how it went from "has anyone tried these products.." to I refuse to buy it because it says Give it to God or it's in a script bottle...If you have never tried it or don't plan on buying it, leave well enough alone, find something else to post about.

I was unaware we weren't allowed to express our opinions on the positive or negative merits of topics on this forum... my bad.

I was unaware we weren't allowed to express our opinions on the positive or negative merits of topics on this forum... my bad.

To dismiss the product because he is too preachy is bull. So what he preaches about god? Nothing wrong with a man expressing his faith in god. If his product is good or if it sucks let it stand on it's own merits. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I just think it is chitty because you think he talks about god to much you totally dismiss him. I will admit calling the product Steroids is a bit odd but hey lots of products are gimmicky nothing wrong with a gimmick. I think probably his idea was steroids are addictive and they will give you a boost. So I think it makes sense even if it is odd. As in it's going to make your food addictive and give it a boost. If you see this Jeff keep on preaching. I love your videos and when they get posted here I watch them. I hope I get to meet you some day.

Back