second sous vide cook. Ribeye steaks....not!

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
New to cooking in a bag but so far i like the results.

I wanted to try ribeye steaks and the ole lady picked up 2 on the way home that looked good.......at first

I didn't notice until after i sealed them but im pretty sure these are chuckeye steaks.:doh:

Oh well. May as well eat em.

I set the Anova for 125 and let it roll almost 2 hrs. Seasoned with Carne Crosta and seared on the akorn.

I was really disappointed that it wasn't the right cut. Ill just have to make steaks again with the right cut. :mad:

I will say that this cooker makes both steaks the perfect doneness. Even steaks if various sizes all come out the same doneness

Steaks look great but what are those rock looking things below the cook grate? :noidea:

36 hour Chuck makes nice steaks IMHO

Steaks look great but what are those rock looking things below the cook grate? :noidea:

Industrial waste compressed into little nuggets that are kinda like charcoal in the same way Spagetti O's are kinda like pasta.

36 hour Chuck makes nice steaks IMHO

+1. Add a day or so to that cook, and you wouldn't tell much difference from the ribeye.

My first cook was 36 hr chuck roast and it was fantastic.
I noticed something funny before bagging but it wasnt until after the bath that i realized they weren't right.

I still want my damn ribeye steak.

Looks great! Sous vide is awesome. Another tool in the kitchen. Got a chuck roast in the bath at 132 since Tuesday. I don't think I've ever gone longer than 36 on one and this will be in the tub for 48 hours. Making steak sammies before volleyball tonight.

If I wrap my steak and put in oven at 125, would that produce the same result as seus vide?

If I wrap my steak and put in oven at 125, would that produce the same result as seus vide?

Ovens don't hold exact temps. They fluctuate greatly. If I set my oven at 350 the temp could range from 300-400. Convectional ovens are better at keeping it closer to the set temperature .

You can imitate sous vide on short cooks with a cooler. burgers/1.5 and less steaks take less than an hour to cook. Heat water up to a little above your target temp and just let the meat soak. Add more hot water if it drops below your target temp.

Regardless of the cut they turned out well and look great.

If your oven could actually be set that low and as already stated hold a steady temp... then, yes, your oven would also work. That is actually what we do when we use the grill to reverse sear. My own kitchen oven cannot be set lower than 165 degrees. But the oven would never be able to give the meat any smoke flavor and neither does sous vide. But (full disclosure) I have a Anova sous vide and it is a great tool especially for food prone to being over-cooked like a steak or fish.

How did you get that awesome crust on the chuck roast? I suspect in the sous vide at 125ish then on to the grill...anything added for the crust?

How did you get that awesome crust on the chuck roast? I suspect in the sous vide at 125ish then on to the grill...anything added for the crust?

The steaks were 125 for 2 hrs. The chuck roast was 131 for 36 hrs. From my understanding any cook lasting more than 4 hrs should be done at 130° or above.

Both beefs were seasoned with oakridge carne crosta and seared on the grill. Its a rub designed specifically to put on a good crust.

Back