BBQ Menu ideas needed

dseskin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I will be having a home style BBQ for around 40 people at the end of the month.

I am planning on smoking 2 whole briskets (2 x +/- 12lb) and 6 strips of Beef Ribs (8 bones in each).

My question is as follows:

1) Do I have enough meat ?
2) Any ideas for sides ? I will be planning on salads like corn, potato and coleslaw - I was also thinking of doing some onion fried bricks.
3) Any ideas for easy starters ?

I will not have any space in the smoker of on the BBQ for cooking appies or sides etc.

Any assistance you can give me with regards to ideas for sides and links to recipes will be most appreciated.

Thanks ya all

What all equipment do you have at your disposal? That might help in making suggestions.

I would be surprised if that was enough meat. Maybe the beef ribs will save you. But if the briskets good people are gonna eat it. I know when I cook for about 8 to ten, i can go through an entire 18lb brisket along with sides. They eat till its out. Making sandwhiches, (Cole slaw and Swiss) may make less meat go further . Because you've got the 6 racks of ribs, it may be enough, a bone or two a person. Plus some brisket.

I have a vertical smoker, Weber kettle and gas bbq that can both do some smoking and indirect - It will be a juggle to cook this amount of meat on what I have

My thought was as follows :

+/- 0.8 lb of brisket per person before cooking
Allowing for 2 ribs per person
Plus sides
Plus some appies

Withing the 40 people we also have around 8 vegetarians, therefore actual carnivores will be around 32 and will be making salmon fish as well - Should have added that as well

I would cook another brisket if you are stuck on those 2 meats. Personally i would of mixed it up with some chicken and beef ribs or ribs or something. That's alot of rich beef right there. Sides are easy you can make anything you normally would just put in oven.

i generally avoid cooking ribs for a large crowd. People tend to overserve themselves so I keep it to things like briskets, butts and chickens, stuff where I can make enough to economically feed people and not worry about running out. Anyways, for a side dish I like to make a macaroni salad with shrimp, bacon, green olives, onions, peppers, some hard boiled eggs chopped, dressed with mayo. It's always a crowd favorite.

I'd go to up to 14-15 lbs on the briskets and 6-8 racks of baby backs, depending on the men and eaters in the crowd of course. I prefer baby backs over St Louis or beef ribs because once the BB's are sliced up by the rib, they can be eaten with one hand standing up in case there is not enough seating.

i generally avoid cooking ribs for a large crowd. People tend to overserve themselves so I keep it to things like briskets, butts and chickens, stuff where I can make enough to economically feed people and not worry about running out. Anyways, for a side dish I like to make a macaroni salad with shrimp, bacon, green olives, onions, peppers, some hard boiled eggs chopped, dressed with mayo. It's always a crowd favorite.

Thats sounds good.. Have arecipe for that? 😊

if I were doing the cook, I'd keep the amount of brisket and throw on 2-3 pork butts. Pulled pork goes far, gives you the option for sandwiches. and pork butt is FAR cheaper than beef ribs, pound for pound.
Apps - hummus and a cheesy spinach dip for the vegetarians. serve with pita and raw vegetables
Is this at your house? Do you have use of an oven? I have never seen mac and cheese get left behind.
Cole slaw - I only do a vinegar slaw by taste, plus you don't have to worry about the mayo getting spoiled

I agree with the others. Sandwiches are always economical, plus they are filling. If you don't mind the prep, I have never cooked for a party and had left over moink balls (I learned those lurking on this site) or ABT's. Those are my go to apps. Also, potato salad is something that you could prepare ahead of time and save you the headache of dealing with yet another side on the day of.

Smoked apple cobbler is always a big hit for dessert time. P.S. Jim Beam apple is a must to deglaze pan when sautéing the apples. 12' cast iron skillet is used. Good luck. Have a great BBQ

Heck, I may have to much food. I am having 40 people over also for a picnic. This may give u an idea. I like to have leftovers for the freezer. I am cooking 2-butts, 2- 12 pound briskest, 5 pounds sausage, 10 pounds chicken wings, and 5 racks of babybacks. Fruit salad, beans, and slaw.

Sounds like you have beef back ribs. Depending on how they are trimmed, they shrink up to nearly nothing when cooked. You will have very little finished product for a large crowd.

Unless you are doing short ribs, I'd go another route as well.

I agree on the amount. Even just 32 people, two briskets can get HAMMERED. Especially if it's really good. My buddies are savages, they are like Labradors, lacking the genetic properties to possess the feeling of being full. I LOVE leftovers, and my thought process has always been to make 1.5X as much as I think I will need. Pork butts, like mentioned above, are a great go-to for topping off the masses.

Heck, I may have to much food. I am having 40 people over also for a picnic. This may give u an idea. I like to have leftovers for the freezer. I am cooking 2-butts, 2- 12 pound briskest, 5 pounds sausage, 10 pounds chicken wings, and 5 racks of babybacks. Fruit salad, beans, and slaw.

Ron, you making me scared buddy - :twitch:

I would roast corn on the gasser as a side.. Shuck it, cook on low/medium heat (depending how much time you have) and char it right at the end for a little color.

For apps, moinks are kinda quick. Prosciutto wrapped asparagus is a new favorite of mine. Wings on the kettle could be an app.

Thats sounds good.. Have arecipe for that? 😊

I don't have it written down, kinda just do it by feel. But the basics are for a pound of pasta, I like cavatappi but penne, rotini etc would work too, anyways per pound of pasta I use a pound of coarsely chopped fresh or frozen shrimp (small-medium size shrimp) about 1/3 pound of crumbled bacon. I probably do 3-4 hard boiled eggs, chop the whites and mix the yolks into the mayo...maybe a cup of chopped green olives, and then just enough finely chopped red and/or green bell pepper and onion to add some flavor but not overwhelm the dish. Add as much mayo as needed to get the right consistency...salt and pepper to taste. This is all a rough guess but it should get you in the ballpark.

I'd cook 3 12lb briskets a 10lb bag of leg quarters & 4 racks of Spares
Beer> the universal side item
Flour tortillas
Sliced onion
Jalepenos en escabeche
Pico de gallo
Charro beans
1 gal of Stubbs BBQ sauce

I don't have it written down, kinda just do it by feel. But the basics are for a pound of pasta, I like cavatappi but penne, rotini etc would work too, anyways per pound of pasta I use a pound of coarsely chopped fresh or frozen shrimp (small-medium size shrimp) about 1/3 pound of crumbled bacon. I probably do 3-4 hard boiled eggs, chop the whites and mix the yolks into the mayo...maybe a cup of chopped green olives, and then just enough finely chopped red and/or green bell pepper and onion to add some flavor but not overwhelm the dish. Add as much mayo as needed to get the right consistency...salt and pepper to taste. This is all a rough guess but it should get you in the ballpark.
Rite on... Im going to try this. Thanks !! 👍👍

Back