THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
I provide pulled pork for our extended family dinner on Christmas Eve, last year was the first year and it went over great.

This year I have to travel 1 1/2 hour to where we have dinner so have to somehow plan this cook correctly.

I have a cryovac of butts from sams (14 lbs) and I usually plan 10-12 hours for the cook and I know its done when its done.

I do not want to have the main corse late, so trying to figure out when to start them.
I have held them in a cooler with foil and towels for a couple hours in the past.

How long can they actually be held like that, once I get there I will put it in a slow cooker to hold until serving.

I did a catering job for a church lunch we pulled them out of the smoke around 10am and ate around 1. we had a couple extras butts that I left in the cooler. When i Got home around 6 I pulled them and they were still too hot to handle. I would pick a cooler or cambro over the slow cooker.

I have held meat for 6 hours with no problems at all when put in a pre-warmed cooler, wrapped up in towels/blankets/whatever, and even put in a couple 2-liter bottles filled with scalding hot water to add extra hot mass. The meat was still hot to the touch and difficult to pull without burning my hands 6 hours later. It was like it had just come out of the cooker just several minutes before. That's the longest I have held anything though.

A cambro is a nice thing to have for traveling/holding food.
You can cook and hold for several hours. I am not sure if there is a max time limit using them.(Maybe someone with more experience could add their opinions.) By adding a little moisture your product should stay hot for hours.
A cooler will do the same thing but it may be a little messier.:becky:
jon

Wrap whole, hot foiled butts in some old towels and stash them in a good quality cooler (like a Coleman Extreme). They'll stay hot all day, to the point the steam will roll off when you crack them.

Back