Question for my stickburner brethren

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My neighbor recently bought a Lonestar Grillz stick burner smoker. He had it fired up yesterday with several briskets and told me I could throw my ribs on his pit rather than fire up mine for just one rack. So I took his invite. He was cooking at 250 (which is what I cook at) so I figured this can't go wrong. Well, it didn't go quite perfect. My ribs had WAAAAAY too much smoke on them. So much smoke that it had an unpleasant after taste.

One thing I noticed as he was cooking and I tried to subtly hint to him was that he'd never let the wood burn down to hot coals before adding more wood. I remember reading on here that stickburners have to run off small, hot clean burning fires. Is this why my ribs turned out with the heavy smokey after taste? Also, I noticed that the entire time he was smoking there was a pretty thick stream of white smoke puffing out of the stack. Now, I know stickburners will have more smoke coming out of the stack than other units but how thick is it supposed to be yet still be considered a "clean" fire?

You are correct. Bellowing smoke is not "clean" smoke. Actually just being able to see "heat waves" coming from the stack is what he should try to achieve.

Even in a stick burner the smoke should be barely visible?

Yup .......you should get a few minutes of white smoke when you add a split then clear up

My Bandera Mid Cook running 275*ish on Oak:

Check out some YouTube videos

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbiPyN5fGmY[/ame]

Better yet have your neighbor watch some videos

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqKMA7yVEE[/ame]

Oh wow. No, there was significantly more white smoke than that. I knew just from reading on here there was too much white smoke present throughout the cook. Then when I tasted my ribs my concerns were confirmed.

Yup .......you should get a few minutes of white smoke when you add a split then clear up

My Bandera Mid Cook running 275*ish on Oak:

Check out some YouTube videos

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbiPyN5fGmY

If he's new to stick burning maybe you can help him.......if he's a know it all idiot just stick to ur own Q/smokers.

He may just need to open the intake vent more.
Thin blue NOT thick white.

it could also be the wood ...type....wet ...green ...there's a few factors that go into stick burning other then just tossing a split in the fire box

when I use my stick burner I start a fire " small one" with charcoal. once it is hot i put on some wood. that FIRST batch of wood needs to burn down to nice hot coals. once the cooker is at temp a log every so often to maintain heat is all you need. when you throw a new log on, yeah you get a little puff of white smoke but it should not stick around long. unless you like heavy over smoked ribs they only need about 3 to 4 hours of smoke. if you are cooking them for a longer slower cook time wrap em or they will taste like lighter fluid. (harsh smoke taste).

Yuck city! That barely visible blue coming from a clean burning fire is what you need.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but in the Lang video above... that is not what I call "thin blue smoke". As another poster already said, when the fire is burning correctly - you only see heat waves coming from the stack. (Yes, you will see smoke when you add a split - but only then.)

when I use my stick burner I start a fire " small one" with charcoal. once it is hot i put on some wood. that FIRST batch of wood needs to burn down to nice hot coals. once the cooker is at temp a log every so often to maintain heat is all you need. when you throw a new log on, yeah you get a little puff of white smoke but it should not stick around long. unless you like heavy over smoked ribs they only need about 3 to 4 hours of smoke. if you are cooking them for a longer slower cook time wrap em or they will taste like lighter fluid. (harsh smoke taste).

If you have the right size fire and smoke you will never have a "harsh smoke taste" no matter how long you cook. Think brisket for 14 hours and not wrapping. You're doing something wrong.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but in the Lang video above... that is not what I call "thin blue smoke". As another poster already said, when the fire is burning correctly - you only see heat waves coming from the stack. (Yes, you will see smoke when you add a split - but only then.)

Close Enough for Me. - I'd cook on that Smoke All Day Long. :mrgreen:

Back