Discussion Thread -> "2016 July Burger Blowout!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS TWO WEEKS!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."2016 July Burger Blowout!"

compressed_burger.gif

It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

As chosen by DerHusker for winning the "Let's See Your Best Grillshots!" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

DerHusker said:
How about a "4th of July Burger Blowout!" Throwdown?

Burgers of any kind within standard Throwdown rules.
For those that want a definition of “Burger”, for this Throwdown, it shall be “any ground meat formed into a patty of any shape”. So if you want to enter a ground Yak meat patty formed into the shape of the Star-ship Enterprise this is your chance to do it. :becky:
JN57_f-maxage-0.gif

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/1/16 through
the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 7/18/16.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 7/18/16

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

This thread is for all entries and general discussion of the category.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Just curious if using a griddle like a blackstone is allowed for this TD. I don't know if that's technically grilling per the rules?

Decided to keep on going and enter another throwdown. Beer can burgers. Quick tip, if you put your beercan in a cheap baggie, the can slides right out.

bcb.jpg

Brisker burger, was out of bacon and too lazy to run out and buy some. Loaded it up with a cheese flap on the bottom, some bad attitude chili, had some leftover diced onions and a couple shots of Tennessee Sunshine to spice it up a bit.

IMG_20160704_122241.jpg

Add a hot hatch chili on top & a couple slices of garlic herb cheese.

IMG_20160704_131411.jpg

IMG_20160704_131801.jpg

Lunch! Please use the following pic for my entry.

IMG_20160704_132035.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I'd go ahead, I think you would be OK.
From here
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049

5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

12. If you have ANY problems with ANY of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for ANY reason, please use the VOTE thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. DO NOT post any complaints in the Throwdown threads about any entry. DO NOT complain about those entries to the moderators. DO NOT complain to the person who made the entry via PM or any other means, as this could be construed as a personal attack which is against forum rules. Any complaints or attacks posted in any Throwdown thread will be deleted, or worse.

I'd go ahead, I think you would be OK.
From here
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049

5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

12. If you have ANY problems with ANY of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for ANY reason, please use the VOTE thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. DO NOT post any complaints in the Throwdown threads about any entry. DO NOT complain about those entries to the moderators. DO NOT complain to the person who made the entry via PM or any other means, as this could be construed as a personal attack which is against forum rules. Any complaints or attacks posted in any Throwdown thread will be deleted, or worse.

Mine only hit the Blackstone.

It runs on propane, the same as a gas grill. Food cooked on a gas grill has been allowed, in the past. Whether it's won, I can't tell you.

I see what you mean. I was thinking in terms of grilling surface.

It runs on propane, the same as a gas grill. Food cooked on a gas grill has been allowed, in the past. Whether it's won, I can't tell you.

But you can run an oven on propane too... I'd rather say a griddle used outside is grilling.

I could drag my kitchen stove outside, attach a gas line, and call it a gas grill. In the end, I'm going with this.

Power to the people!

Yep, I'd agree with the above. ^^^^^ I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, as there are numerous Blackstone threads in QT. Besides, you can put a griddle on your grill. But if someone has a problem with it, plenty of other entries to vote for... I say go for it! Let's see a nice Oklahoma onion burger. Can't cook that on a grill, but that would definitely be part of a "Burger Blowout".

TD Entry: American Style Kobe Cheeseburger

American (Style) Kobe (Waygu) may not be a match for it's Japanese counterpart, but it is the closest we are likely to find in this country.

So when my wife brought home a pound of American BBQ Co. Kobe Beef, I knew it was time to make burgers.

American BBQ Company's American Style Kobe Beef

With the quality meat, the only thing I added was Naturiffic's Peppery Lime Salt, and it was time to make patties.

Close-up of seasoned burger patty

With the burger patties made, it was time to turn my attention to the grill.
Today's choice was the '50s era cast iron Cue-Grill (made by Atlanta Stove Works) that I restored last fall.
This grill will get extremely hot and is the perfect tool to get this Kobe Beef burger cooked.
There was some charcoal left in the bottom from the last cook, to this I added a hickory split, and then added fresh hot charcoal on top.

With this quality beef, I didn't want to over cook it, so I pulled it at medium rare then dressed it with a slab of sharp cheddar.

Once the cheese had some melt going, the cheeseburger was laid on a foundation of fresh romaine, local tomatoes and crispy bacon and it was time to eat!

(Please use the photo above for the TD entry)

It was ridiculously juicy and tasty with a great crust from the grill and flavor from the seasoning salt.
If you get a chance to make a burger with this type of beef, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:
Just curious if using a griddle like a blackstone is allowed for this TD. I don't know if that's technically grilling per the rules?

Mine only hit the Blackstone.

I see what you mean. I was thinking in terms of grilling surface.

Yep, I'd agree with the above. ^^^^^ I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, as there are numerous Blackstone threads in QT. Besides, you can put a griddle on your grill. But if someone has a problem with it, plenty of other entries to vote for... I say go for it! Let's see a nice Oklahoma onion burger. Can't cook that on a grill, but that would definitely be part of a "Burger Blowout".

A Blackstone would more than qualify as a grill, and certainly more than a few entries over the years have been cooked on gas grills. While the definition of a "grill" or "smoker" isn't defined in the rules(though perhaps they should be, though I think for most it is self evident), a good definition would be any outdoor cooker designed for outdoor grilling or smoking would suffice, and that excludes hooking an indoor oven outside to an external gas source, in addition to an indoor smoker box used in an indoor oven.

Back