Costco - Prime - Brisket

OlyQ

Full Fledged Farker
Oh my ! Did Costco run out of prime brisket ?

I wanted one for a 4th of July cook only to find they were out and a restock was soon on the way. Well , I stopped in today and it the first time in 3 weeks that they had a cooler full of packers but it was CAB and not the usual Prime grade.

What's your local Costco have in stock ?

I won't cry too much as 2.79 for CAB seems fair but having access to prime was pretty sweet .

Don't think I've seen a prime packer brisket at a Costco near me for a couple months either, though I'm planning to stop by one in Orange County tomorrow while I'm in the area.

Smokeat, do you shop Costco in the IE at all?

Someone here said it's a supply and demand thing. Costco is fighting with the others for Primes. It was $3.99 a pound when I bought one 3 weeks ago. It was the lone packer left. I haven't seen any since.

Our Costco is hit or miss on full packers of any kind. They will go months without any. Then they get low end choice for a few weeks. Then choice CAB mixed with just regular choice packers. I got lucky yesterday and scored a 15.75# choice CAB that felt like a bag of jello. It was $2.79 a pound and the only one they had.

We have a Sam's about 5 miles away from our Costco. They always have low end choice packers and occasionally have some primes. Their prices range from $2.99-$3.37.

My local costco (central California) used to never carry any. Now there is always full prime briskets. Been this way for the past year at least.

Picked up a choice CAB packer last weekend for the Sunday cook. Meat guy told me they expected Prime on Tuesday (today).

Nola

I was at costco in New Orleans about a month ago......lots of Prime brisket packers, and really tons of packers of everything...prime and choice.

We seem to have a full selection almost all the time down here.

cayenne

All the Chicagoland Costco's have now switched to Choice packers. Was told they will no longer be getting in any Primes from now on. I will say though that some of these new Choice sure looked good...quite marbled and thicker flats than most of the Primes I used to look at.

Don't think I've seen a prime packer brisket at a Costco near me for a couple months either, though I'm planning to stop by one in Orange County tomorrow while I'm in the area.

Smokeat, do you shop Costco in the IE at all?

Yes, Montclair and Glendora, have got Prime Briskies for a few years.

Have been getting them for much longer at La Habra.

Yes, Montclair and Glendora, have got Prime Briskies for a few years.

Have been getting them for much longer at La Habra.

Haven't been to the La Habra one in a looooong time, used to live not too far from there once upon a time off of Beach in Buena Park. I'll have to head over there. Thanks!

Gotta pick yer packer, make sure it's floppy, designations like Prime, Choice, and selct mean nothing
to your packer (full brisky).
It means something between the 12th and 13th rib of the ribeye, though, and THAT'S IT..

This is propaganda - CAB better than Prime or choice, not so -
we all know it is the piece of meat that's superior, whatever the label.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Never any problem getting primes in TX. It's all that I buy. When I lived in Tumwater, WA, I could find nothing but choice. But then as you know, TX rules...:wink:

no way in hell is a commodity prime brisket worth more than ground beef. I'll never agree with that price. I'll happily smoke selects or choice provided they arent from excel or swift.

looking at the examples found in our 2 regional costcos (lafayette and baton rouge) - the quality of the actual cut has gone way down.. noticeably down. In the past it was very infrequent to find the hard white cap fat...or even skin on a packer... its now on nearly every single one from swift..ive even seen cow hair on a couple. And the amount of pink slime along with pools of blood ... yuck.

That tells me the commodity packers are throwing these out as fast as possible.

swift - i purchased a 2 3 packs of stl cut spares from costco ... never again. they were still bleeding after removing the membrane. Thats a result of poor treatment of the carcass ...

the IBP brand seems to be 2nd most consistent after Blue Ribbon Angus... as far as commodity goes. You can have all the rest. My costco wont even offer me the other brands anymore.

Last edited:
Back