Keepin' the old ways alive. My family story.

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just a quick background, I was born in southern Virginia, but grew up in Michigan. My Mother was a Virginia raised farm girl, who along with the rest of the family could put a meal on the table that you just couldn't find anywhere else. Last week, we stayed in a circa 1867 house in Bohannan, Virginia for a mini family reunion. One of my goals was for my 12 year old granddaughter MacKenzie to learn the old ways of cooking from her 85 year old Great Grandma (my Mother). The following pics are how that meal and my granddaughter's education progressed. I just stood out of the way and grabbed the occasional pic and enjoyed the fruits of everyone's labor. The first step was how to make Great Grandma's surprise filled cupcakes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 635
At this point, Great Grandma took MacKenzie really under wing and showed her the proper way to flour, season, and fry the chicken. The old school way: flour, salt & pepper in a paper grocery sack. Chicken in, shake it up, and fry it in shallow oil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 627
Now Great Grandma said this girl shouldn't be expected to stand here fryin' chicken for two hours, so I better be ready to help. MacKenzie wouldn't have any part of that. By this point, Great Grandma sat in a chair in the middle of the kitchen. I overheard Mack ask Great Grandma when to turn the chicken. Her answer was perfect. "Use your own judgement".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 623
Great post. Nothing like a big family meal. Those memories will last a lifetime.

Unfortunately, before I could get a good pic of the table, the family had dug in and enjoyed the labor of the day. After dinner & ice cream, we all retired to the porch. We sat and talked as the East River rolled into Mobjack bay while the sun slowly disappeared. Maybe this is the money shot after all. Thanks all for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 611
Thank you for sharing with us, a great post. :)

[QUOTE=mjpmap; . After dinner & ice cream, we all retired to the porch. We sat and talked as the East River rolled into Mobjack bay while the sun slowly disappeared. Maybe this is the money shot after all.

I would agree. Great post.

Great post and thanks for sharing your family with us. Since this is a safe secure site please share the family's guarded custard recipe for home made peach ice cream with your brothers and sisters in smoke. :wink:

Great story.

I did something this year as well.

My kids didn't get the luxury to spend time with Great Grandparents both of their Grandpa's died when they where very young as well. I was only 29 when my Dad passed away my boys 4, and 2. This year marked the 20th year of his passing.

He loved to fish among other things so I started buying vintage fishing items thinking I could pass something down so they can do it as well when the time comes. Everything was bought made in the USA from as early as 1950's Most from the 60s, and 70's. They loved it, and we will do it every year from here on out. These are the things life are truly about.

Great post and thanks for sharing your family with us. Since this is a safe secure site please share the family's guarded custard recipe for home made peach ice cream with your brothers and sisters in smoke. :wink:

Would you believe, it's so guarded, that I don't have a clue how to make it?:doh:

Great post. My girls Great Grandma's are gone now but they get plenty of exposure to my mom and her great skills in the kitchen.

Back