Saturday sausaging

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Did 8# of sausage today. The #8 LEM grinder worked great...better than I expected. Grinds fast, plenty of power. I'm impressed for $95. Went through 8# of meat as fast as I wanted to shove it in the hole. The 5# piston stuffer worked great too, made the stuffing fast and easy. Used natural casings, you know exactly what part of the pig they came from when you open the package.

Shelly wanted some Montana-style German sausage, so we went though her old regional cookbooks and I took one of the recipes and put it in excel so I could have it adjust automatically for the qty of meat used and also give measurements in grams for ease of use. Very simple recipe, 75% pork, 25% beef, salt, black pepper and garlic. I used a pork picnic for the pork and brisket point for the beef. Did a test fry and it was delicious! Going to put some on the DC shortly.

And of course, the pr0n

After drying a bit...

Looks great. I want to start processing too but my wife said I need to wait until we build the retirement home and I get a complete room/kitchen for it :)

This was my first attempt...real happy with the results. I'm glad I'm not having to wait!

Nice job, those are some pretty looking links.

They look real tasty, good meats make good sausage

Looks good.

Sounds like you got the same equipment as I have :cool:

Looks good.

Sounds like you got the same equipment as I have :cool:

I've got this grinder, the #8. It's a refurb. I was really impressed with the power this thing has. Ran 8 lbs of meat through it as fast as it would take it and it didn't even heat up. Seems like it didn't even take 10 mins to do it.

And this stuffer, 5#, also a refurb.

I've got this grinder, the #8. It's a refurb. I was really impressed with the power this thing has. Ran 8 lbs of meat through it as fast as it would take it and it didn't even heat up. Seems like it didn't even take 10 mins to do it.

And this stuffer, 5#, also a refurb.

Where did you find the refurbished equipment? Does the stuffer have the metal gears?

Thanks,

Robert

Montana German Sausages! inspiration to make sausage this week. Thx

Where did you find the refurbished equipment? Does the stuffer have the metal gears?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

It's at the bottom of all the section choices once you get off the front page

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/refurbished-products

Yep. Stuffer has metal gears.

The grinder doesn't have metal gears, but to get metal gears you have to get in the $200 price range. At $95 it was worth the gamble and I think the replacement gears are around $2.50 if they get shredded. They say it's a countertop grinder that's "built to last" I guess we'll see!

Last edited:
Montana German Sausages! inspiration to make sausage this week. Thx

And in the interest of being a good brethren, here's my recipe:

Pork 75%
Beef 25%
Salt 1.75%
Pepper 0.38%
Crushed Garlic 0.50%
Water 3.13%

Non-meat ingredients are given as a percentage of the total weight of meat. Makes scaling the recipe very easy. If you would like to make a cured sausage for smoking, use 0.25% Cure #1 of the total weight of meat, which will bring you up to the 156ppm required. I do everything in grams, so it makes life easy.

I really wouldn't change anything with this recipe. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Back