How do you get home after a contest?

DawgPhan

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was wondering how some of you get home after a BBQ contest.

I am often tired after turn ins and there is a lot of clean up to be done.

How do you get it cleaned up and everything home?

Then what do you do with it once you get it home?

Do you have a bunch of teenagers that come and clean up and drive you home?

Maybe one of those self driving google cars?

Spend the night?

A portkey?

Apparition?

A teleporter?

Tardis?

We usually clean it up and pack up on Saturday evening and stay until Sunday morning to get the needed rest. We leave around 7 AM on Sunday for the drive home.

My 19 year old helps. We clean up and pack everything before awards and leave right after. Empty the trailer into the garage that night and then spend the next 2 days putting things back and cleaning. I do like the TARDIS idea.

Minimal cleaning at the contest, pack up and head home right after awards. I put the dirty stuff in bus tubs where I can get at it easily and deal with it at the house.

Everything is cleaned and put away immediately after brisket turnin. Takes 40-45 minutes on average.
Depends on the crowd if we stay the night or head home.
An hour or so from home Lulu gets things around so when we get home another 15 minutes unloading. Then I unhook smoker and go dump the tanks.
When it's all said and done within 2 hrs of getting home there's no trace of a comp happening.

go as disposable as possible so clean up is easy. Anything that needs to be washed can usually be put in a dishwasher so I just bring it home. We can usually have our site cleaned and packed within 45 mins. Then we rest up a bit, take down the EZ ups and go to award.

I transport everything to/from contests in those Rubbermaid bins (2 big ones). They go in the garage right next to my car along with my cambro. The dirty stuff I took home from the contest goes upstairs to the dishwasher, then I re-pack it a day or two later.

I found out the drive home is easier if you get a few calls!!

We clean up as we go. Once we are done with an item and 100% sure that it is no longer need. We pack it. Doing this durign the entire comp makes it easier in the end. Alot of comps won't let you break down your canopy after awards. Our solution to that is fine. Break down and pack everything except canopy and chairs. Chances are we are going to need to bring our chairs to the awards anyways. So no harm no foul. Then depending on how long the travel is we just unpack the next day.

Here we are on the way home from the comp this weekend. It is a challenge to get everything packed in but it is doable. The tardis is going to the paint shop next week to get our logo painted on the front doors. Also going to add a bracket on top to hold trophies.
View attachment 101309

Last edited:
Here we are on the way home from the comp this weekend. It is a challenge to get everything packed in but it is doable. The tardis is going to the paint shop next week to get our logo painted on the front doors. Also going to add a bracket on top to hold trophies.

So do you set the TARDIS to just before you left that way everything is clean and put away when you get home?

I use as much disposable as possible and bring home one bus tub of dishes for the dishwasher. Takes me as a solo team about 20 - 30 mins to cleanup.

I used the force to get me down 64 east this weekend.

Clean as I cook. Try to get my girls to help keep things tidy. We can usually have things packed up and ready to roll inside an hour.

I use as much disposable as possible and bring home one bus tub of dishes for the dishwasher. Takes me as a solo team about 20 - 30 mins to cleanup.

Hey Richard,

Thanks again for the great customer service the other day. A jar arrived busted and you guys had a replacement waiting on my door step 2 days later!

Thanks again,
Vanbo

Over the years we have learned to get rid of everything and anything we don’t use. We also moved towards disposal everything where possible. Immediately following brisket turn-in, we move into cleaning mode. It is only my wife and I but I don’t like to sit around and wait. We are packed and ready for drinking, again, in no more than an hour. Usually we wait until Sunday to unpack the truck and trailer. All sauce jars, knives, etc go immediately into the dishwasher. While the dishwasher is running I reload all of my rubs, honey, and dry ingredients. After dishwasher is finished, knives get sharpened and sauces get made if there is another event the following weekend.

As a one man band, it takes me about an hour and a half to get the dishes washed and put away, truck loaded, and cookers cleaned, loaded inside the trailer and strapped down. My goal every contest is to be loaded, hitched up, and pointed toward the gate before awards, as I usually have 4 or 5 hours of driving to do Saturday night in order to be home on Sunday. Monday is laundry day and restocking rubs and sauce, Tuesday is hunting and gathering meat/garnish(usually chicken and maybe pork/ribs), Wednesday is trim and pack day, and Thursday is travel day.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That. Thats what we do. Of course, somewhere in there is the bitching about our scores ����������

We have team responsibilities split up, so clean up goes pretty quick. Other than that - pack up like hell after turn in, then wait until calls.

Back