Number Of Battle Box Grates

Porcine Perfection

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order a Humphrey Battle Box. How many grates do you use for a KCBS contest? I am debating on whether I should order an extra grate or go with the three that come with it.

Thanks all!

Really depends on what you're cooking in it at the same time. We use my Battle Box for brisket and chicken, and as long as things cook according to schedule I never have more than 2 racks in use at a time. The 3rd rack is there for when something's (brisket) not cooking on schedule.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Deuce said, also
If you're going with the standard steel grates I'd def get a extra one for only $28, it's good to have on hand. You also might wanna take a look at the Pint, it's only like $300 more and you actually get a lot more room. I originally was ordering a BB but deceided to go with the Pint and I'm definitely happy I did. Great choice on the Humphreys, they're awesome!!!!

You should be fine with 3 grates. The stainless steel upgrade racks are worth every penny. We cook pork, ribs and chicken on the BB at comps and 3 racks is plenty for us.

Now that I have had it for a year what would I change? I would have bought the BB Plus as the additional 6" of width would come in handy.

You will be happy with your purchase regardless.

I agree 100% on the SS racks. I went one step above that and got the SS rod racks. 5 minutes each with a SS Scotch Brite ball and they're spotless.

2ah8qco.jpg

Yeah you HAVE to get the SS grate upgrade, best option on the thing. I use four racks in competition, all SS. Pans for big meats, ribs on the racks.

I have 2 battle boxes. The question depends on if you are getting a drop in or slide-in water pan.

I have both Personally I like the drop in and can easily fit 4 grates.

Back