Pork cushion vs butt

Tom Sellecks Mustache

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My buddy gave me three boneless cushions the other day, all about 3 or 4 pounds a piece. I usually cook butts somewhere in the 275 range, but with these being boneless and leaner, I was wondering if I should run them a little cooler?

He says they make amazing pulled pork, but from what I've found doing some quick internet research, this seems debatable.

Pork Cushion is the bottom part of the picnic.

ap_cush01f.jpg

Cook it just like you would a picnic or a boston butt. Rub it, smoke it, pull it when it is tender.

Since there is no way to do the bone wiggle test you can do one of two things. Probe test (just like a brisket) or just stab the thickest part of the cushion with a fork and slowly twist. If it twists easily, it is done. If it has resistance, let it keep going.

^ +1 Like AAWA said above...

The "cushion" comes from the Pork Shoulder Picnic (Arm).

The picnic shoulder is more economical than the Boston Butt, but it also contains more fat than the blade shoulder. When the bone and fat is trimmed an cooked it results in a very rich flavorful piece of meat.

The meat from this cut is excellent for making juicy smoked pulled pork. The Picnic has a large bone and joint that runs through the middle of the roast, but one side has a
large lean muscle, hence called the "cushion". You can also slice and pound them for pork cutlets, schnitzel, stew meat,or use them in any recipe where you would use chicken.

I wasn't a big fan of the picnic shoulder, usually sticking with the butts. My buddy is all about the cushion so I thought I would give it a shot, especially since they were free. There just doesn't seem to be much out there about them, aside from where they are located in the pig.

Doesn't seem to be too popular of a cut for PP. Trial and error I suppose.

The cushion is part of the picnic, which means it is part of the shoulder, which means it is made for pulled pork!

It has lots of interconnective tissue and intramuscular fat so that makes for great pulled pork.

I prefer PicNic over the Butts -stronger better taste to me - just never heard of cushion

Back