THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a PBC; a couple of friends have WSM's and i find the food to be highly edible from either one. My .02: For price, portability, and ease of use get the the PBC. For versatility and low & slow cooking get the WSM. You can get accessories to get it to do everything the PBC can and more besides. You just have to pay for it and putz with it. If that suits your budget, personality, and bbq needs then go for it.

I had both the 18" and the 22". They both held temp well. I put a gasket on the 22 door and two bowls and it was solid when I upgraded from the 18 for space. Add a guru and you can get even more control, but I found it wasn't necessary most the time.

22 wsm. After a few cooks mine holds at 250 plus or minus 5 degrees for about 16 hours. Granted I bought the larger coal basket after market. Even without the bigger basket though, it is a solid cooker.
Thanks.

May I ask which aftermarket basket you added?

Since you are still undecided my vote is for a Hunsaker.
The Hunsaker is indeed intriguing.

However, they are expensive. I can get a WSM 22, the deflector shield and hanging rack for the WSM from Hunsaker and a temperature control unit like a DigiQ for about the same price as a pre-built Hunsaker Vortex. This essentially gives me both for the price of one, plus temp control.

I’m now thinking I’m going to get the WSM 22 along with a Hunsaker Vortex basket and hanging rack. I’d maybe add a Guru later after getting good with using the WSM both ways.

Back