Smoked Picanha - keep or remove fat cap

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Going to smoke some picanha this weekend - should I keep the fat cap on or remove - I have read various conflicting ideas.

Thank youi

Rule #1 ... Always always keep fat

"My father-in-law gave me a prime SRF brisket he didn't have time to cook fully seasoned with salt & pepper, should I scrape all the rub off and boil it?"

Personally I trim the fat cap to get an nice even layer like I do a brisket. I like the fat but I’ve had some where fat cap was as thick as the meat and that’s a bit much for me. I would trim to 1/4-1/2” personally...

Keep! The fat/salt/fire thing is where it's at! btw I see you're smoking it - the fat magic will happen with a sear. It will flame like crazy and it's farking awesome.

^^^^This! I will add that maybe go with a HOT smoke, but finish with the help of hot, wood coals, but that's just me. Keep the fat. It can always be trimmed at the end per individual choice.

Bob

Thank you for all the replies - will be smoking it tomorrow with the fat cap intact!

Just curious - Why smoke it all the way as opposed to a nice Reverse Sear? Picanha AKA Top Sirloin Cap or Coulotte Steak is a tender cut of beef. IMO it is as its best cut into 2" thick steaks, slow smoked to an internal temp of around 110 degrees, then seared off over a hot flame to a nice mid-rare and cut against the grain.

You can slow smoke it just like you can slow smoke a Ribeye or a NY Strip, but what do you want the end result to be? Do you like your steak mid-rare or well done? I personally think mid-rare is the best application here, and that slow smoking will just dry out your end product because it's a very lean piece of beef without the internal marbling of Brisket. Here are a few photo's from my last cook:

IMG_0977 by David Miller, on Flickr

IMG_0980 (1) by David Miller, on Flickr

IMG_0985 (1) by David Miller, on Flickr

IMG_0984 by David Miller, on Flickr

Good luck with whatever you do!

I gotta disagree here! If you are straight smoking without a sear then taking off the fat cap is the way to go. The fat won't render correctly along with the nerve that runs underneath the fat.

I prefer to cook over the coals the whole time fat cap on but I have smoked fat cap off and it was also very tasty.

Back