Best Knife Sets

HolySmoke77

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking to buy a great knife set with case and all. Any suggestions? I want something to keep all them together.

It depends on how deep your pockets are. Wusthof and Henckel are great, but very pricey. They'll last a lifetime though. The best and most expensive are the classic series.

i'm looking for knoves as well, but for an un-related reason. I liked the wustoff's I've had but have been intrigued by the shun except for the price tag.

It all depends on budget and level of performance that you want. I have many Dexter-Russel Sani-safes, but, they are not high performance knives, much like Victorinox, they are affordable, easily sanitized and work well enough.

I happen to like Shun, Global and Miyabi for the next step up. Wusthof knives would also be in that group. I don't like how Global handles are, so I no longer own any.

For my money, and if I was interested in having a once-and-done set, I would buy in pieces, and get a knife roll AND blade guards. Also, I would skip a couple of knives and get a decent sharpening system, be it something like a Wicked Sharp or some stones. In that case, I would buy the best Chef's knife I could afford, a decent paring and utility slicer, a decent santoku or nakiri, and a quality better slicer. I love my MABA Wusthof Grand slicer for large slicing jobs. Also, I do not regret the splurge I made on a Wusthof carving fork, I got the straight one, makes carving meat so much nicer

Yeah, this question is like asking WSM or UDS, water or no water, Charlize Theron or Scarlett Johansson or Salma Hayak.

Everyone has the right answer...

(WSM, No water, all three...) :mrgreen:

As for the knives, I went with the Wusthof's. I think you will need to buy the case separately. Haven't seen them sold as a bundle with a case. Block, yes, case, no.

Am interested in this topic as well as I've recently discovered a nice store in our area Sur La Table and they carry Global, Bob Kramer, Shun, Wusthof, etc.

If you want quality, sharp knives that won't completely bust the bank that HAVE to come in a block I'd go with this set from Tojiro.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/knife-block-set-p131837

I'd add these and be done with it.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/nakiri-knife-p113707

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/curved-boning-knife-p113711

Yes, these come with shears and a bread knife, but it does give you one set all the same brand and a knife block in the finish of your choosing.

Kramers, especially the carbon steel ones, are very nice. But, realistically, very few people can afford a set of them. Heck, very few people can afford one of them.

If I were to give you one piece of advice, don't buy a knife sight unseen.

They are highly personal.

Sur La Table is a great store to go to, and interestingly most of the knives there are the same price as Amazon or other retailers - with the exception of BB&B which is cheaper with a 20% coupon if you have one and they have the knives you want.

The other piece of advice I can give you is focus less on a set and more on particular knives that you need and buying the "best" of each category.

I have a Miyabi, Forschner, Wusthof, and Victorinox.

The other piece of advice I can give you is focus less on a set and more on particular knives that you need and buying the "best" of each category.

^ +1 -
I agree View the knife and hold the knife and get the feel of it.

I also agree don't buy a set, you get what someone else wants to give you. Pick your knives and you can buy the knife case/roll separately. This way you have the knives that suit your needs.

It all depends on budget and level of performance that you want. I have many Dexter-Russel Sani-safes, but, they are not high performance knives, much like Victorinox, they are affordable, easily sanitized and work well enough.

I happen to like Shun, Global and Miyabi for the next step up. Wusthof knives would also be in that group. I don't like how Global handles are, so I no longer own any.

For my money, and if I was interested in having a once-and-done set, I would buy in pieces, and get a knife roll AND blade guards. Also, I would skip a couple of knives and get a decent sharpening system, be it something like a Wicked Sharp or some stones. In that case, I would buy the best Chef's knife I could afford, a decent paring and utility slicer, a decent santoku or nakiri, and a quality better slicer. I love my MABA Wusthof Grand slicer for large slicing jobs. Also, I do not regret the splurge I made on a Wusthof carving fork, I got the straight one, makes carving meat so much nicer

^ - perfect summation, take Landarc's advice.

You can get Dexter-Russel and Wusthof at a restaurant supply house nearly half the price of what is listed on Amazon.

Sur La Table is a great store to go to, and interestingly most of the knives there are the same price as Amazon or other retailers - with the exception of BB&B which is cheaper with a 20% coupon if you have one and they have the knives you want.

This ^^^ good advice! Pick out what knives you want and will realistically use on a regular basis. Try to buy what you can hold in your hand and what fits your and your style. It is like buying a car or a good suit, you want to try it on for size before putting down your hard earned money.

Buying a "set" is wasting money in my opinion as a lot of them will never get the use to justify their cost. Also do not buy a "pull through" sharpener or an electric powered Chef's Sharpener. They will ruin your investment quicker than a thief can by relieving you of them and taking them to a pawn shop.

A good set of knives will last you a lifetime and then some if you take proper care of them. Make sure what you get is quality and a good fit. Good luck in your search!

Blessings,

Omar

Well I was going to say Forschner but apparently Victorinox bought them out.

Jeff

Are you looking for a general purpose kitchen set or a more BBQ centric collection? My big issue with sets is they tend to duplicate a lot of basic kitchen function. Example if you have an 8" cook's knife in a set a 6 inch utility doesn't add much to the set since the cook's knife does all the "utility's" tasks and more.

Check out Dickies 12 pocket knife bags, they come in a ton of colors and are really tough. Also check out Mundial knives, high carbon steel and the professional handles are really nice to work with.

I bought individual Messermeister knives and a knife roll from Amazon.I'm content,they resharpen easily enough and hold the edge.They are a mite pricey though.Mercer is good,too;my buddy Dan bought those,and as long as his wife and kids stay away from them they serve well.

Back