Costco Beef ribs today

I've gotten these several times from local Costcos. Sometimes they have them out in the cooler but you can usually ask for them to dig one up in the back for you.

If they have the already cut ones in the cooler, they should have some in the back.

They are fantastic and probably still represent the best thing I've cooked so far.

Last edited:
That really looks wonderful. Would you mind sharing:

1. How long they cooked for
2. Cooker temp
3. Final meat temp

Thanks!

I don't remember the particulars of the cooker temp nor the meat temp, unfortunately. This is the kind of stuff I should write down for the next time!

I use a PBC so I don't generally use a probe to determine the smoker temp as it settles in consistently via lighting it pretty much the same way every time.

The time, however, was a little over 4 hours.

Saw them today in Costco, big ,nice ribs, but for $8.49/# they can keep them.

That really looks wonderful. Would you mind sharing:

1. How long they cooked for
2. Cooker temp
3. Final meat temp

Thanks!
I usually smoke them at 250-275 for about 5.5-6.0 hours. I don't go by final meat temp, ever. I go by when they feel like butter when I probe them with a toothpick. I start checking at about 5.5 hours

4 hours!!!!!!

You must have been at around 350f !!!

Without getting into the particulars of the PBC, it does seem to cook faster than other smokers. Don't know if hanging them does more for it than laying them on a grill grate? Hanging plus a temp that rides at 275 on the low side?

Just checked the PBC thread to make sure I didn't misquote that time and, yep, it was just a touch over four hours. I've played with the intake before and did these same beef short ribs for seven hours. Was very good but not as good as the ones pictured.

I've probably smoked these babies from Costco once a month since June of this year. The best ones have been on the shorter side time-wise than longer. Of course, I had to pull two racks after 4 1/2 hours on Thanksgiving and I felt like they could of used another hour.

Like Big Dan said above: I'm not worried too much about meat temp on these but rather when they are probe tender. No crutches or anything either...just let them ride.

WOW! never seen them at my Costco let alone for $3.99 a pound. I'm very jealous.

WOW! never seen them at my Costco let alone for $3.99 a pound. I'm very jealous.

Might just be lucky out here, but I've got two local Costcos that at least always have them in the back if you ask for them.

Always in the low $30-40 range as well.

Next time you are in there, ask the butcher if they have them just in case.

Easily one of my favorite things to smoke. A little bit of trimming needs to be done but well worth it.

Just tossed them on the UDS. Chugging along at about 260 right now. I had to do a LOT of trimming. These both had a lot of silver skin on them.

Attachments

• 1Costco beef.jpg
    1Costco beef.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 704
Checked with my Costco (Tucson) they advised beef ribs are a no can do... Crap.

Ive asked several times for short ribs at my local Costco, and have gotten mostly blank stares. At one point I even saw some cut up korean style in the case, but even then, they said they didnt have any in the cryogac bags.

I haven't tried getting these from Costco yet but I did finally figure out that if Sam's doesn't have them out, they usually have them in the back if you just ask. I need to try that at Costco. Do you know if they come in a twin pack like they do at Sam's?

Back