Whole Hog on a Shirley

Pork Floyd

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here but already loving this Forum. I'm in the Q (no pun intended) for a Shirley cooker for July 2017. Way to long as it gives me to much time to think, dream, design, research. Etc.

Here is my question, will a 100lb hog fit on a 24" grate butterfly style? (Assume I will have to "trim" the legs some). I really want to cook butterfly style vs runner. My plan is to do whole hog catering for parties and can't decide on a 24 vs a 30" Shirley. Doing the raised chamber, cabinet doors and straight back. Probably 70" long.

Will two 75lb hogs fit height wise? (One pig on bottom and one on middle grate)

I would really appreciate any feedback/experience anyone has to help me decide.

As always, thanks so much for your help!

Phil D

If I had intentions on hog butterflied, Id def go 30" Even the small hogs Ive cooked (125-100) are wider than 30 butterflied.

70 is plenty of length

I was told 125. I had no way to verify the weight

for reference, this was the pig and the rack is 28" wide
10568990_1002471079827857_4570525484542312985_n.jpg

Boy is that a nice hog. And on what looks like a stainless grate. Looks like I'm gonna need the Shirley 30" and a good saw.

Yea, I don't think it would fit on the 24. You will want 30 for butterflied. You will have 7-8" clearance between the bottom and top rack with standard cabinet doors. I would determine how much height you need and tell Paul that. He can build the racks at whatever distance you need.

If I were going to do butterflied hogs of the size you mentioned... I would go 30 inch straight back.. If you need extra height talk to Tyler but the 30 inch should get you there.. Remember we are custom builders so that means as long as it does not screw the integrity of the pit up as far as performance... We will do it....

Thanks a lot Paul.

I put it on my bucket list to talk to Tyler when we get closer.

I would prefer to cook 2 75lb pigs than one big one so grate spacing is something to think about.

Phil d

For scale purposes.....this is a 42#er on a 24x48. Started out butterflied. I chopped too deep in the spine and it wouldn't hold my liquids, so I tied the hind legs together. After about 3 hrs. the legs firmed up and stayed that way for the remainder of the cook. This is the first time I ever had to 'present' a pig, 'racer' style. But it turned out great for me because turning/flipping it was way easier than trying to flip it butterflied and not have it separate in various places. Turns out, it fit perfectly into a steam pan so that I could continue to keep moisture into the cavity. A much larger pig would've fit, but I could not have had the fire in the pit as you see....I would've used my firebox instead. I had time and travel logistics to work out, so I cooked it hot and fast with fire in the main chamber. 20161223_210651_resized (2).jpg
20161224_042223_resized.jpg
20161224_042503_resized.jpg
20161224_073610_001_resized.jpg
20161224_074659_resized (2).jpg

For the record....I have had a 120#+ on my 30" pit.....butterflied, and had room to spare. Although the legs were touching the side and door when closed....eventually the skin will tighten up and the legs will draw up a bit. It's only an issue in the beginning.

Here are (2) 75#ers i did on my 24x70 Shirley with PLENTY of room left. They came out great with the help of all the great Bretherns on here.. Smoking em is a breeze (on the Shirley anyway)

The top 1 was mine , the bottom 1 was a friends. He cramed it into a cooler with ice over night. I got tired of assin around with his pig and said fark this, and threw it in there as is... lol..

Last edited:
Back