Need help identifying this brisket

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Next weekend I am doing my first brisket ever. It will be a 12-14 lb packer. Tomorrow I am going to experiment with a small brisket we have had in our deep freeze. This came from a 1/4 beef we buy from my brother in law every year. I have no idea how the butcher cut this brisket. It is a brisket "portion" weighing maybe 4-5 lbs. I am clueless as I am looking for the "fat cap" on this thing and all I see is fat on both sides. Can someone look at the pics and help me identify what in the heck I will be cooking tomorrow and what if any fat needs to be trimmed? I was instructed by Bludawg when doing his way of HNF to start out fat cap down. I can't even tell from this piece what the fat cap is lol.

The top

The bottom

The side

If I didn't know better I would think that was a pork belly. It is hard to see but perhaps it is the back hunk of a flat and a section of the point with the fat vein running in between.

If I didn't know better I would think that was a pork belly. It is hard to see but perhaps it is the back hunk of a flat and a section of the point with the fat vein running in between.

This is what I was thinking. It does look like a section containing both pieces. The side shot does look like the fat that seperates them. So How the heck do i know which side is the fat cap? It appears as if the cutter already trimmed the fat cap which irritates me. There is no extra thick layer of fat on either side. Just thin layers.

I had the same thought about it being a small part of flat and the fat between the point and flat.

I have come to the conclusion after trimming all the fat off the top side that I got either the flat or the point with scraps of the other attached via a hunk of fat. I got it trimmed to red meat and what I believe is the remainder of the fat cap (after the meat cutter shaved most of it off) on one side. I am sure it will still cook ok just nice to know what your working with besides a big hunk of unknown meat.

My lord, that is mangled. Neat, but, still, mangled.

What I see, is a small chunk of flat, and a small chunk of point that has been squared off. And the large chunk of fat that sits between the two parts of the brisket.

13978507709740_zpstvzjcdbi.jpg

Image left, the brighter red meat with marbling looks like the point, but, it has been neatly squared off. The darker meat, camera right, if flat, judging by color and leanness. In the middle, there is a edge of fat. That is what I see.

The part on top in first pic was all fat except that little tiny piece of meat you can see. I thought that meat went deeper but it was just on the surface. All the meat was on the bottom side as seen in the bottom pic. I have a feeling it's a chunk of flat with the fat cap trimmed and all the fat between point and flat with no point. It's massacred.

Send it back to your brother in law. Imho i would grind that up into hamburger meat.

Looks like a Flat to me tail side in the bottom photo is on the left with a tiny like piece of the point on the right. most of th Fat cap is missing it is all that thick fat. YMMV

Looks like a Flat to me tail side in the bottom photo is on the left with a tiny like piece of the point on the right. most of th Fat cap is missing it is all that thick fat. YMMV

is it even worth trying to cook like a standard brisket only just shorten the cooking times? Ain't got time to grind it up in the hamburger I'm not going to mess with that. If it isn't worth cooking I'm just going to throw it in the trash.

Cook it like you would the packer for a practice run, test out a new rub get a handle on checking probe tender, if it fails there is always Chili it hides plenty of mistakes:thumb:

I'm going with the center cut (where the point and flat overlay) squared off to get rid of the tapered part of the flat and the bulbous part of the point.

Back