Weber Gas Grill - porcelain coated steel or stainless steel?

bob3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It's time for me to get a gas grill. The Weber kettle gets the job done when I have the time, but for the convenience - and size - I have decided to get a gas grill.

I'm looking at the Weber Genesis 310s. They are available in a black porcelain coated steel for $699, or you can get the stainless steel model for $849.

Question: Is there any reason to pay the extra $ for the stainless steel model?

I'm also open to any comments if you think I should be looking at other gas grills.

Thanks!

I've been looking for a new gas grill for the past month. I went into it thinking i wanted a weber but after looking at the cost and how much it would get used I ended up buying this one from costco for $389 in the store. http://www.costco.com/Landmann-3-burner-304-Stainless-Steel-BBQ-Grill.product.100075019.html

Figured it couldn't be beat with it being all stainless, having solid stainless cooking grates, and including a heavy cover wich would have been an extra $50 for the weber.

I used it so far for chicken and burgers and love the way it cooks.

There are alot of great used Webers on CL from $100 to $200.
I saw a perfect SS top of the line - like a $2000 grill for $100 - I couldn't justify it,
don't need more grills. (But want)

For my wallet, I would buy the $699 Genesis and then add aftermarket stainless flavorizer bars. There are a few different ebay related sellers that make the bars in a machine shop or you could get original Webers. If you don't need a side burner or the sear burner I think the above is a sound choice

The reason I would go with the stainless bars is they give you about 3 times the longevity if not more with reasonable yearly cleaning.

I have a Weber Summit Silver that I bought on Craigslist and rehabbed. After cooking on a friends new Genesis I think they are very similar. I often get my grill up to 600+ for a sear and then shut down the middle burners and finish the meat indirect until it comes up to my desired internal temp. This can easily be done with the new 3 burner Genesis.

I like my side burner on my Summit for frying fish, making hash browns, and doing high heat stir fries. Is there a Weber Genesis model that has the side burner but not the extra sear burner? I was just in home depot and it seemed that all the ones I saw with a side burner also had the sear burner.

The Webers cost as much as a nice stove but, I do not know anyone that is disappointed with them after they have the right model and features for their cooking style.

It's time for me to get a gas grill. The Weber kettle gets the job done when I have the time, but for the convenience - and size - I have decided to get a gas grill.

I'm looking at the Weber Genesis 310s. They are available in a black porcelain coated steel for $699, or you can get the stainless steel model for $849.

Question: Is there any reason to pay the extra $ for the stainless steel model?

I'm also open to any comments if you think I should be looking at other gas grills.

Thanks!
I just bought the 330S, not for the stainless outside, but inside. The "S" comes with stainless cooking grates and heat deflectors, the other is porcelain steel. There is an EP310, not available at big box stores that is the porcelain steel grill with stainless grates and burners. You can find these at local BBQ shops. I've been through a lot of grills in my life, this is my first Weber and now I know why they have the following they do.

I have a brown porcelain Weber that is around 10 years old no rust at all on the top. However the stand that the grill sits on has started to rust some.

I replaced the burners, ignition switch and flavorizer bars about 3 years ago. Works like a new on!!

There are alot of great used Webers on CL from $100 to $200.
I saw a perfect SS top of the line - like a $2000 grill for $100 - I couldn't justify it,
don't need more grills. (But want)

What ? A $2K grill for $100 and you let it go ? /headshake. I'd have snapped that baby up and then spent a month figuring out what to do with it. At worst, I would have given it to someone else and banked some serious amounts of goodwill for $100.

I go the Craigslist route also. Webers are ridiculously easy to rehab most of the time and parts are available for years and years.

Only thing that I am iffy about with the older models is that the burners go side to side instead of front to back. Makes it a tad bit more difficult to do "two zone" or indirect cooking.

The burners on the newer models go front to back making said style of cooking much easier.

OP, have no idea if you want to go the Craigslist route and do a rehab, but here's a Weber Genesis Silver C, 3 burner model with additional side burner:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/app/4425772147.html

It's $75 and if the cart itself is in very good condition, this is a steal. If needed, new flavorizer bars from RCPlanebuyer on Ebay will set you back about $45 dollars, and if the grates are toast, replace with Weber Porcelain coated cast iron grates for about $65. All told, you'd be in for under $200 and it will last you for years and years and years.

FWIW, I have 3 Webers sitting in my back yard right now and I'd still snap this one up in a heartbeat and would either add it to my collection or find it a new home with friends/family. :-D

Dem: Thank you for doing the local CL search! I am looking to buy one new. I've been thinking about this for a year now, and I'm ready to do it. I want something that will last 10+ years, and I'm not that handy or up for doing a rehab.

Other comments: I don't see the value in the side burner. The grill will be close enough to the kitchen that I'd just run inside if I need to heat something up. Or better yet - get some help from the wife!

Dem: Thank you for doing the local CL search! I am looking to buy one new. I've been thinking about this for a year now, and I'm ready to do it. I want something that will last 10+ years, and I'm not that handy or up for doing a rehab.

Other comments: I don't see the value in the side burner. The grill will be close enough to the kitchen that I'd just run inside if I need to heat something up. Or better yet - get some help from the wife!

You're welcome Bob, and it's all good. WRT your question, no real fundamental difference between the porcelain coated Weber vs. the Stainless steel when looking at the grill box itself. Both will last for a very long time.

Don't know if it's still the case with Weber, but there used to be some differences in grills depending on the retail channel. Stores like Home Depot had the lowest quality grates. They were stainless steel "half moon" type grates that would wear out fairly quick and weren't all that great in my opinion. The Webers at the local hardware stores had higher quality grates that were much better.

As I said though, I don't know if this is still the case.

Get the cheaper one, the shelves are stainless, that's all I care about. It's covered most of the time anyway and the stainless is more difficult to clean IMO.

Get cast iron grates too. I debated cast iron or stainless and am grateful I let my buddy talk me into cast iron. Just keep them oiled. I keep a rolled and tied dishrag in a tupperware container with oil in it under my grill. After I'm done cooking I'll clean the grate, grab the rag with my tongs and go over the grill. Next time I want to cook it's all ready to go and the grates never get rusty.

Cast iron rocks, I'm a sucker for a good cross hatch.

I have a S-330, stainless steel outside and grates, sear station and side burner. I've had it for about 3 years and it looks just about as good as it did when new. I can't say there is any justification for getting the stainless other than looks. I have other stainless steel outdoor kitchen equipment so i wanted it to match. The rest of the grill is the same.

Either way you go you'll love it.

Back