18 Inch Jumbo Joe Mini Weber Smokey Mountain Build

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I finally got around to building a mini Weber Smoky Mountain. Thanks to FWISmoker and PJTexas1 for posting detailed instructions. I basically just copied what the did.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173767
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204907

I need to build a charcoal basket and get some sort of gasket for the lid but other than that it's ready to get dirty. It's doing an empty burn now to get rid of any factory chemicals on the grill.

The pot is 80qt and stainless steel. Don't underestimate how hard stainless steel is to work with!

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
I like it! I can barely remember when mine was that clean. I tired a rope gasket but ended up taking it off. The lid is more secure without it. Maybe a flat gasket would work better? The lid will leak a little but you will still be able to control temps and shut it down. It's the cooker I use the most when it's really hot out.

I was thinking maybe something like the felt on a BGE.

I like it! I can barely remember when mine was that clean. I tired a rope gasket but ended up taking it off. The lid is more secure without it. Maybe a flat gasket would work better? The lid will leak a little but you will still be able to control temps and shut it down. It's the cooker I use the most when it's really hot out.

I've been using foil folded up and wrapped around the edge of the pot for the last couple of years, haven't had any problems, works great.

The foil is a good idea. I am definitely going to add a ball valve as well. It's a hassle trying to adjust the bottom vent. You practically have to put head on the ground to see under the grill to see what position it's in.

I've been using foil folded up and wrapped around the edge of the pot for the last couple of years, haven't had any problems, works great.

I finished this up today. After a couple of burns I determined I really wanted to add a ball valve. The ash buildup was blocking the standard air intake that is directly below the fire grate. I also added a pizza pan for a heat diverter and welded some expanded metal to form a coal basket. I have a crappy welder and have zero experience welding. It's not pretty but it should hold. tons of respect for people that can lay down a quality weld.

First time using pics on Imgur. Hopefully they show ok.

kgaR7zRl.jpg

nuR9YSfl.jpg

LV9xtrcl.jpg

8mIdzSJl.jpg

Last edited:
Any tips on how to post pics from Imgur?

Looks like you've got the hang of it! The surprise for me were the sizing issues...

Sweet little build you've got there. Always nice to read about Brethren helping Brethren.

Keep the tweaks and mods coming! It's fun to see you tinker and such.

Looks like you've got the hang of it! The surprise for me were the sizing issues...

Sweet little build you've got there. Always nice to read about Brethren helping Brethren.

Keep the tweaks and mods coming! It's fun to see you tinker and such.

Thanks, I probably edited that post 20 times trying to get it right.

Back