Cookers and tread plate...

Beentown

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Why so much use of tread plate for some builders and smokers. Seems many use it and I don't see the reasoning. I would prefer flat/plain as it is easier in all aspects. Easier to clean, paint and gets dirty easier.

Am I missing something? Everything I see for pricing tread plate is more than plate of the same thickness.

Curious in Ohio,

Beentown

mesa-boogie-dual-rectifier-3-channels-reborn-head-black-597714.gif

Because tread plate screams metal!

Not downing it just trying to understand. If I were building one I may use it for some texture or look but doubt I would use it for the whole shebang. If it is a taste thing then I get that as that is an individual preference. Didn't know if there was any other reason.

For example, almost all the cookers coming out of Greasyhill are tread plate.

Buttburner...

Is your whole cabinet tread plate or just the actual doors. How about your firebox and warmer. Hard to see with that photo.

I think the tread plate is more form than function. Personalization. Or maybe materials on hand, that sort of stuff.

I will say this, it's cool looking, but a real pain to keep clean if it's anywhere near food...

I will say this, it's cool looking, but a real pain to keep clean if it's anywhere near food...

That was my thinking. Cleaning fire trucks as a kid made me despise cleaning the stuff. This was pre-power washer days. Lol

The only thing I can think of is its better to have 6 or so small burns on your belly than a 10 inch long burn. Other than that I put it in the same category as putting shiny rims on cars and trucks, it looks good, it makes you feel superior next to the guy who just has the plain Jane, but behind the scenes you are cussing and sweating you butt off trying to keep it shiny and pretty.

Buttburner...

Is your whole cabinet tread plate or just the actual doors. How about your firebox and warmer. Hard to see with that photo.

just the doors. I would not like it if the whole thing were covered with it

better pics. I did not have them on the pc I was using earlier

Last edited:
To me that is like adding texture in a room. Depth of design sort of thing.

Burner, what are those bolt looking thing that come out of the cooking and warming cabinets? Are they for temp probes?

yes those bolt looking things are access ports for probe wires.

Back