Smoking Pies

BBQ-Stew

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I just recently came across some pron of a pie being smoked. I've been wanting to try this technique of "baking." Anyone have any tips & tricks on smoking pies?

I have a 18.5" WSM and was going to do 2 pies (pecan and apple). I was going to do these just after I get done doing two racks of beef backs.

Good question...I saw the smoked pecan pie here the other day and was wondering the same...

Please let us know how it goes, I wanted to do this but wifey nixed the idea. (pictures to see how the crusts and tops look too, please)

Be real sure whatever you put in the pie goes well w/ smoke.......stuff takes on smoke way more than even ground meat.....suggestion might be to just use charcoal & get a little flavoring.............

Tomato & Cheese pie.......

Pie3033.jpg

Pie3034.jpg

350f for about 45~55mn............

Pie3043.jpg

Pie3052.jpg

Real good, but can be easily over-smoked............

When peeps does his pies, I'm pretty sure they're just cooked over charcoal with no smoke wood, so "smoked" is a bit of a misnomer.

You don't taste a smoke flavor on the pies. You're basically just using a charcoal smoker as a convection oven.

Use clean-burning charcoal, don't add smoke wood, and make sure you keep your temps as rock-solid as possible. That's really all there is to it.

When peeps does his pies, I'm pretty sure they're just cooked over charcoal with no smoke wood, so "smoked" is a bit of a misnomer.

You don't taste a smoke flavor on the pies. You're basically just using a charcoal smoker as a convection oven.

Use clean-burning charcoal, don't add smoke wood, and make sure you keep your temps as rock-solid as possible. That's really all there is to it.

Makes a little more sense now...thanks!

So you are saying that there is little to no difference between pie in the over vs pie on the smoker...... unless you add wood.

It will pick up some of that "BBQ Flavor" just from charcoal....little different / nicer than the oven.....

With the cheese / sausage/ tomato thing, or like any kind of savory type pie, I'll add in one small chunk (see pic above) just to get a little bit of flavor going....sweet or fruit pies, no.................

We smoke pies on a UDS and my WSM all the time. Crank up the heat to 300-350 and let it roll. We have done apple, pecan and blueberry all with good success.

We smoked an apple pie, and it was AMAZING! If your doing it on your WSM, just make sure the thin blue is rolling! We used KBB, and apple wood. We smoked ribs first, but I can't recall if we had water in the pan or not.

Be real sure whatever you put in the pie goes well w/ smoke.......stuff takes on smoke way more than even ground meat.....suggestion might be to just use charcoal & get a little flavoring.............

Tomato & Cheese pie.......

Pie3033.jpg

Pie3034.jpg

350f for about 45~55mn............

Pie3043.jpg

Pie3052.jpg

Real good, but can be easily over-smoked............

More details on this, please. I'd like to try something like it this weekend. Looks damn fine.

Here is one we did just for us to eat at a local competition last year. And the basic recipe. It's basic but it was good.
Peach Cobbler on the Grill
Ingredients:
· 4 sticks Unsalted Butter
· 1lb of canned peaches (not pie filling)
· Cinnamon
· 2 white or yellow cake mixes
· Large aluminum pan

Directions:
Melt two sticks of butter in bottom of pan.
Add a little cinnamon to melted butter.
Add peaches.
Add the two cake mixes on top.
Slice two sticks of butter in slices all over top of the cake mixes.
Top with more cinnamon.
Cover pan with aluminum tin lid. Bake on grill for 2.5 to 3 hours.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 17
Back