Whole hog brick pit build

Pit is looking great!! Can't wait to see pictures from the first fire. What is your distance from the ground(coals) to the grate?

coals to grate distance

Pit is looking great!! Can't wait to see pictures from the first fire. What is your distance from the ground(coals) to the grate?

This was quite the enigma on my build. Some say 16 inches, some say a minimum of 24 inches, somebody else says 32 inches. I went with 30 inches. I can lower this rack if needed, but I'll be trying this distance and learn about temp management with fuel and air.

The rental units I used were about 16 inches I believe(charcoal), and I definitely did not like the heat fluctuation so close to the meat (cooked too hot). I'll report back on what I learn.

As this is just a pig cooker, I really want the cook top to be accessible for pickin', so I hope to make this distance work.

Last edited:
This was quite the enigma on my build. Some say 16 inches, some say a minimum of 24 inches, somebody else says 32 inches. I went with 30 inches. I can lower this rack if needed, but I'll be trying this distance and learn about temp management with fuel and air.

The rental units I used were about 16 inches I believe(charcoal), and I definitely did not like the heat fluctuation so close to the meat (cooked too hot). I'll report back on what I learn.

As this is just a pig cooker, I really want the cook top to be accessible for pickin', so I hope to make this distance work.

That would be great. I am completing a block pit with just expanded metal between the courses and no mortar at this time. I have a two block (16") distance at this time. I had read 16-24. Feedback from a higher distance would be good. I think I could access the meat off that no matter what distance you end up. :heh:

wow man, you did a great job! i think that is probably the coolest pit i've seen on here! my dad's a mason and i've dabbled in it a little, i would love to do something like this someday when i own my own property.

Awesome build man! That thing is slick. Can't wait to see some more pics, and yes please post some action pics.

35 trees were tall, but not wide, all hardwoods! And yes, I have more grass to mow, bad subject! Now to learn the fine art of charcoal. Will be using Kingsford on my first cook, can't mess up the Thanksgiving Pig.

Charcoal? 35 large oaks felled? Sounds more like burning barrel, nice oak coals, and one mighty tasty piggy...

Charcoal? 35 large oaks felled? Sounds more like burning barrel, nice oak coals, and one mighty tasty piggy...

I'm not too proud to say I need some instruction on "splits " as I'm seeing on this forum. My yard was a mud pit for a year as we were under construction, and I had everything tree related, including stumps hauled out. I like a tidy yard.

It sounds crazy, but I turned around and bought a cord of wood for my fireplace when we moved in a year ago. Wood splitting is serious work! (Moreso than learning masonry). I do have a maul and axe for kindling, but I only use when absolutely necessary. Perhaps I will learn some wood burning skills- we'll see. Until then, charcoal store bought. All I know is pig should never be cooked on gas!

First cook on the new pit

Nice little 63 pounder. Did a low and slow, about 12 hours. Took some time to get confidence on temp, but it turned out great- much better than the rental units. Maxed out at 260 degrees upper grill temp.

I cooked skin down, no flip. This is much easier and same good result. 30 inch coal to grate distance was fine, just used more fuel, and the pit is much larger than a tow behind rental cooker. Definitely like the temperature stability of this masonry pit, although we had great weather helping the cook in Raleigh today, 70 degrees and perfect!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
The old saying "picking and grinning" takes on a whole new meaning seeing this. Great job on the pit and the cook!

Omar

real nice pit!!! you sure had a great design I would love to copy it someday i always dreamed of a brick pit. good job on the hog.

Back