Looking at a LSG offset

Any issues with junk dripping off the roof of the smoker?
No, during the fire building and pit heating preliminaries the excess moisture in the pit is eliminated before any meat is put on the pit.
Over time a build up of creosote will gather on the roof and I simply give it a light wire brushing and knock it off before I start a cook to keep any of it from falling down on to the food area.:grin:

The only time I notice a big difference between the top and bottom temps is in the winter months with windy conditions. In the warmer months of the year the temps are almost identical from top to bottom and from left to right once the tuning plates are set.:grin:

Adding to Bill's experience, I've seen 5-10 degree difference in temp from the top grate from the bottom grate in HEAVY Rain but it quickly recovered once the rain subsided. :clap2:

I have the stock 24 X 24 vertical and love it. For the price it is definitely the best bang for the bucks. I have notice about a 20deg difference from top to bottom but that is probably a tuning issue on my. I actually like the temp differential. I can put chicken or ABT's ect. on the bottom in the higher temp with other meats above at the lower temp. It works good for me and couldn't be happier with the pit and my results. The service from Chris and Amber is first class all the way.

I recently picked up my LSG vertical offset 30x24. It's huge! I could have gotten by with the 24x24. I've had many cookers including a Jambo and other customs. This thing blows em away. With the tuning plates, you are pretty darn even side to side and top to bottom. If you want a hot spot, that is easily achieved by adjusting them. The capacity of cooking space vs the footprint is incredible. Also, With the 4 casters it rolls around very easily. It does burn a little more fuel than I would like on small cooks, but an insulated firebox and/or smaller version would definitely help with this. It's been really easy to maintain a clean, thin blue smoke as well. Like others, I don't think I could ever go back to a horizontal offset after cooking on this thing. Good luck with your purchase!

Is the insulated fire box or 1/2" upgrade needed? I am in so ca. It does not get cold here.

I am also thinking of getting the charcoal basket to run with lump and wood chunks for smaller cooks. Any feedback on the std shelf vs folding? I think it's better design than the pipe smokers, just getting used to the different look. I assume I could run this easily at 250-275. How hungry are this for wood?

Is the insulated fire box or 1/2" upgrade needed? I am in so ca. It does not get cold here.

I am also thinking of getting the charcoal basket to run with lump and wood chunks for smaller cooks. Any feedback on the std shelf vs folding? I think it's better design than the pipe smokers, just getting used to the different look. I assume I could run this easily at 250-275. How hungry are this for wood?

I stayed with the 1/4" firebox for the fact that I live in SoCal. Warm almost year round, not much wind if any plus it almost never rains here as you already know. It easily runs 250-275 and even more if you choose from what the guys told me. I also bought the charcoal box with the removable S baffles for smaller cooks in the oven plus I got a few ideas with it.:becky:

Mine delivers tomorrow so I cant really say if it will be a fuel hog but since I chose a stick burner Im not too concerned. Plenty of wood sources here which may be a bit more costly than other states but....... Thats me though.

Forgot to mention that I went with the folding table option to bring it in from the side to the backyard easier.

I upgraded to the 1/2 inch firebox and the extra thermal mass definitely helps with fuel economy. Once all that steel gets good and hot with a bed of coals the pit goes on cruise control and I have noticed only a slight increase in wood consumption over my old COS which was less than half the size. On my last cook I did a couple of briskets at 275 and an hour after the cook (two hours since I'd added my last split to the fire) I went out to close the dampers on the pit when I noticed that the temp was sitting at 225 - 250. Out of curiosity I opened the firebox to see what was left in there and to my surprise there wasn't any wood left, only about half of the coal bed!:shock: It's little things like that that remind me of why I love my pit.:-D P.S. I have the charcoal basket and it works good when using the oven but not so much for the main chamber. It takes a decent wood fire and a coal bed with wide open dampers to thoroughly heat the main chamber.:wink:

Thx guys, still deciding on options, but I think this isr the way to go. Not sure I would use the grill option but since I am not paying more for it why not? When I grill I fire up my kamado joe.

Do you guys feel a handle on the cabinet side would be a good call.

sSV3, post pics once you get that thing unpacked!

I actually had Chris put a pull handle smoker/cabinet side to make it easier to pull alongside my house. Maybe OldBill will chime in if it is even necessary. He's pretty much walked me through to join the LSG clan when I had a bunch of q's.:grin:

I will def post the delivery, uncrating, run down of the pit and accessories. Stay tuned.

Thx guys, still deciding on options, but I think this isr the way to go. Not sure I would use the grill option but since I am not paying more for it why not? When I grill I fire up my kamado joe.

Do you guys feel a handle on the cabinet side would be a good call.

sSV3, post pics once you get that thing unpacked!

I actually had Chris put a pull handle smoker/cabinet side to make it easier to pull alongside my house. Maybe OldBill will chime in if it is even necessary. He's pretty much walked me through to join the LSG clan when I had a bunch of q's.:grin:

I will def post the delivery, uncrating, run down of the pit and accessories. Stay tuned.
Well make no mistake, these pits are HEAVY and an extra handle is a good thing, in fact I wish that I'd had an extra handle put on mine upon reflection LOL!!! If memory serves Chris and I came to the conclusion that with the warmer, extra size of the cabinet and the thicker steel of the firebox we would be looking at a 1400 lb pit, she's a beast!:shock:
Hey ssv3, I'm definitely looking forward to your pics. I know how excited you are and how long you've had to wait, the anxiety is a close second to waiting for the birth of a child to BBQ nerds like us!:razz:

Well make no mistake, these pits are HEAVY and an extra handle is a good thing, in fact I wish that I'd had an extra handle put on mine upon reflection LOL!!! If memory serves Chris and I came to the conclusion that with the warmer, extra size of the cabinet and the thicker steel of the firebox we would be looking at a 1400 lb pit, she's a beast!:shock:
Hey ssv3, I'm definitely looking forward to your pics. I know how excited you are and how long you've had to wait, the anxiety is a close second to waiting for the birth of a child to BBQ nerds like us!:razz:

Glad I had him put one on then Bill.

For sure bud. Excitement doesnt even describe it bro. It's a special event that I took a vacation for. :grin: Wait was killer but it's over. Even this morning's coffee tastes special. Bbq nerd is the correct term.lol

Last edited:
Can't wait to see it. Fire it up this weekend. I am cooking a 12lb prime brisket tomorrow am, love ca, weather.

I never thought of putting a handle on the smoker until I began to push the beast around! Kinds reminds me of the scene in the first Conan movie when Conan was a child slave and forced to turn the mill then voila, he turned into Arnold!!

Ssv3, how is your new pit?

It's FARKING amazing to say the least. Arrived flawless.:clap2: I'll do a full detailed thread on it tonight. I had my dad take pics with his DSLR and I'm waiting for the pics. I have a few on my cell so here are a couple teasers. :becky: Holds temps so even all across that it's not even funny. Stay tuned until tonight.......

20141024_131518-1.jpg

20141026_190308.jpg

It's FARKING amazing to say the least. Arrived flawless.:clap2: I'll do a full detailed thread on it tonight. I had my dad take pics with his DSLR and I'm waiting for the pics. I have a few on my cell so here are a couple teasers. :becky: Holds temps so even all across that it's not even funny. Stay tuned until tonight.......

20141024_131518-1.jpg

20141026_190308.jpg
Aint she purdy?!? Happy for ya Brotha', it's been a LOOOONG time coming!:clap2::rockon::grin:

Congrats. What a beauty. My next smoker will be an upgrade from my current Lone Star Grillz insulated cabinet smoker to one like yours, when I am ready to move up to a stick burner...Awesome!

Aint she purdy?!? Happy for ya Brotha', it's been a LOOOONG time coming!:clap2::rockon::grin:

Thank Bro!! 19 1/2 weeks but who was counting?:becky: Like the saying goes "Well worth the wait"

Congrats. What a beauty. My next smoker will be an upgrade from my current Lone Star Grillz insulated cabinet smoker to one like yours, when I am ready to move up to a stick burner...Awesome!

Thanks bud!! Having no stick burning experience whatsoever I nailed temps all across the main chamber and ran thin blue/clear smoke all the way. Extremely well and quick responding to intake adjustments. I still can't believe how easy it is to run.

Thanks bud!! Having no stick burning experience whatsoever I nailed temps all across the main chamber and ran thin blue/clear smoke all the way. Extremely well and quick responding to intake adjustments. I still can't believe how easy it is to run.
You can't beat that vertical design.:wink:

Back