Barbeque America Magazine

Yeah, I emailed and called last Thursday. No response back.

It's a lost cause at this point. :cry:

What I find strange is that they were actively posting things on Facebook/Twitter up until the end of August. They must have known before then that they weren't going to be sending out the next issue (Sept/Oct).

I agree that they shouldn't have continued to advertise if they knew there was a problem. I have seen on other forums where people paid six months ago and never received anything.

You can dispute the CC charge, but also file a complaint with the division of consumer affairs with the State Attorney General's Office. Being payments were made to another state, they can face federal charges for fraud if they don't refund.

Not that it makes a difference on the outcome.

The writers, photographers, etc... would be paid on a per story, picture etc... price. Most of them would be freelancers or regular folks. They may have had a few writers that they had on contract, although they would also be paid per article. The per article price is not that much. Sometimes 50.00 and I have seen up to 500.00. 500.00 per article would be in a high subscription magazine, with the writer providing all pics, and the article is edited beforehand.

Photos for magazines (periodicals ) are usually provided with the article by the writer. If the writer does not provide photos they are paid much less per article as the periodical has to go source the photos. There are professionals that can/will supply photos although their photos are provided at a premium.

Subscriptions and mailings are outsourced. I am sure there are some mom/pop magazines that do all of this without outsourcing. I believe that the percentage is so small that it is irrelevant. It is to cumbersome for a publishing group to handle on their own, so they outsource it.

With it being a new title, they would not have audited numbers to show their potential advertisers. In other words they are unable to verify how many paid subscribers they have. Since they dont have audited numbers their ad rates would need to reflect that. Meaning the advertiser revenue would be lower vs a magazine that has audited numbers.

I would imagine that their ad revenue did not cover their expenses, and like so many other magazines, the publisher closed that title, and has already moved on to the next.

There should be a number of extra copies of the magazine available at the publishing house. They would keep boxes of them to include with their "media kit" that they would send to potential advertisers. So if you contact the publishing house, and were to find someone willing to help, I would think they could send you copies of the back issues that have already been printed. Or they could have thrown them in the garbage to make room for the next title.

This was the email we used rbrowne@bbqam.com

I used the publishers email. This was the contact on all the BBQAM websites that I saw, and mailing address were the same for BBQAM & All American Crafts.

dcohen@allamericancrafts.com

www.allamericancrafts.com (though they don't show BBQAM mag on this site)

Ugh… I don't even know why I am staying involved in this topic anymore. It just BURNS me I guess, even though it was a silly $35 bucks. :mad2: Maybe cause it had such great potential. I ordered on ebay and received the primer issue (after learning of all of this), and I'm still glad I did. Such great photos of the food, and I'm a "magazine guy".

Website suspended

I just found this forum while trying to find out about the BBQ America magazine. I tried their website today and it isn't even working anymore. The website comes up "Account Suspended".

I've been watching for the new magazine, but evidently there isn't one. I liked the first issue better than the second. I wanted to subscribe, but I couldn't justify paying $25 for a 6 issue subscription when I've had several magazine subscriptions that were 12 issues for $10-15. I can think of a few for $10. I don't know how many other subscribers they missed out on because of this, but I felt they priced it too high.

I'm going to have to check out the magazine this forum talks about. I took a peek at it earlier. It looks pretty nice. I couldn't get at least one of the early issues to work though.

The creators claim the publisher backed out of the deal after the first issue, however they still continued to collect money through September without stating such.

Someone reported that they found on the web that they filed for bankruptcy, but not finalized. I cannot find anything on the web about it, so at this point it is just hearsay.

Good luck.

I bought the first two issues and enjoyed them. Unfortunately this thread brings to mind an old Willie Nelson line, "Turn out the lights, the party's over."

Wonder how Myron Mixon and the others who spent advertising money on this magazine now think?? I was a pretty good magazine, in my opinion. Sorry to see some well known BBQ personalities get burned by them.

Hey. All of the info I need is here and I don't have to worry about getting screwed.:clap2:

I made a complaint with my credit union 2 weeks ago for reversal of charges for non-delivery and I just received my refund.

I called my credit card company and told them what was going on and they credited me back the amount

Back