Long cooks on the WSCG

Johnnyflay

Got Wood.
Reaction score
For those who have the WSCG how are you setting up the charcoal for cooks running 6 to 12 hours? Are you dumping in maybe 3 to 4 buckets of charcoal and using the gas starter or piling up the charcoal and adding lit coal on top?

I seem to get quite a bit of charcoal smoke using the gas starter and not real sure how much control I have over what coal is being lit. I have not done a long cook over 6 hours yet.

I previuosly owned a WSM

Just wondering if there are any advantages to either.

When I'm doing a long low and slow on my Akorn (also a steel insulated egg), I put about 2-3 chimneys of unlit lump in it, make a small hole in the middle, and light a 1/2 fire starter(wax and sawdust type), let it get going, close the lid after about 5 mins, and have all the vents open until about 175, then start choking down the air to get it stable at around 250. Hope this helps

your biggest issues isnt going to be how much you get lit its going to be choking back the fire to maintain the low temp. if it works anything like my performer. when i light a pile of coals i let it burn until i get near my temp, then i choke my vents back. you already have a smoking setting on the bottom vent so it'll be a lot easier. just light your coals set your bottom to smoke open your top vent full until you get close then close them until your temp stabilizes

For those who have the WSCG how are you setting up the charcoal for cooks running 6 to 12 hours? Are you dumping in maybe 3 to 4 buckets of charcoal and using the gas starter or piling up the charcoal and adding lit coal on top?

I seem to get quite a bit of charcoal smoke using the gas starter and not real sure how much control I have over what coal is being lit. I have not done a long cook over 6 hours yet.

I previuosly owned a WSM

Just wondering if there are any advantages to either.

I have had no issues with temperature as I sneak up on it.

Tonight i will put 10 lbs of Boston butt on for the first time. I am going with what i know. Hot coals on top of the pile.

I start about 1/4-1/2 scoop of charcoal and start over gas for about 6 minutes and spread pile. Not all coals are grayed over, some only have a corner going. Add additional charcoal as suggested in owners manual. Have not done any overnighters, but several 6-8 hr. cooks and this method has worked fine for me.

Fyi I ran 3 scoops and maybe a 1/4 chimney starter on top. Still running good after 13 hours. Temp set to 225.

Last edited:
Back