WSM incoming

I have a 22.5" wsm too. I've been eyeing the vortex basket for a long time but never pulled the trigger. My big complaint about the stock fire ring setup is it seems to burn a LOT more fuel than a UDS (which I've owned and used a lot in the past). I think the vortex basket would help with efficiency. Please keep us updated on how it performs in your WSM. I've never had any complaints about the end result, just unhappy with how much fuel it burns for a given cook.

Gonna break it in with something extra special - homemade sausage fatty. Debating on stuffed or not. Gonna be dirty and not wrap it.

You are going to really like it and perfect timing for the fatty contest. They run rock solid and not too bad to master. I run without water but put the bottom of a clay flower pot in the water bowl and wrap with foil. Still keeps great temp, much hotter (if wanted) and uses less fuel. One last thing, I am guessing you have been to the tvwb but, if not great place for WSM

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I second TVWB site for all things WSM. Fantastic site to learn about your new WSM.

Just the Wife and I now. We have the 18.5. 22# brisket, butts, ribs not a problem. This is a Beast as is the 22. Just take some time to get to know it.

You can pass it down to your kids with a little care.

I have been to TVWB. I actually built a HeaterMeter for my Akorn from a guide on the site about 5 or 6 years ago. Good place, but I like here and smoking meat forum better.

The 18" WSM was my first smoker and I had good success with it. After buying a PBC, I never used the WSM again and later sold the three that I had. I still have the PBC.

Enjoy yours.

I agree that is a beginner smoker (actually GREAT beginner smoker) but it isn't cheap. It was my first smoker many years ago and I still have it, even though I have added many more since. It definitely has its place

I have been to TVWB. I actually built a HeaterMeter for my Akorn from a guide on the site about 5 or 6 years ago. Good place, but I like here and smoking meat forum better.

Chris updated the message forum software earlier this year, and its the best I've used. Very easy to post pics. Can embed all types of social media. Lots of good features.

Can’t go wrong with a WSM. I think a lot of people getting pellet grills would be better off getting a WSM. It produces good food and is easy to use, clean and store (for a smoker). The price is right as well, and has lots of mods.

Great choice! I have a Lang and a Stumps, but I still kept my WSM. I pack it up in the truck and take it with us camping.

I agree that is a beginner smoker (actually GREAT beginner smoker) but it isn't cheap. It was my first smoker many years ago and I still have it, even though I have added many more since. It definitely has its place
Is Harry Soo a beginner? :biggrin1:

I think it gets the label “a beginner smoker” because of the price and availability. You just can’t beat it for its price and is probably the best smoker out there to try as a beginner....mainly because most of the other stuff in its price range is pure crap. The WSM performs well enough for experienced users to keep around as well.

My take on it is that charcoal, pellet, electric smokers etc will always be looked at as more of a beginner’s tool than a stick burner. Not that you can’t be a pro and use them, or that you can’t make some excellent Q with them. I’ve read tons of BBQ forum posts along the lines of “How do I get my X smoker to taste like a stick burner?” and pretty much never the opposite. Don’t get me wrong, I also use a pellet grill (and now about to have the WSM). But the best brisket I’ve ever tasted is from a traditional flow stick burner.

I think it gets the label “a beginner smoker” because of the price and availability. You just can’t beat it for its price and is probably the best smoker out there to try as a beginner....mainly because most of the other stuff in its price range is pure crap. The WSM performs well enough for experienced users to keep around as well.

This too

Last edited:
A WSM will hold temps so steady that , since I don't do overnight cooks , I've never seen the need for an ATC. Once its dialed in, it just sits there and purrs.

I have thought about adding the Thermoworks Signal + Billows, but if I were gonna spend $300 for pure set and forget, I'd add a couple more hundred and get a pellet pooper.

To me, the biggest headache to using a WSM is cleaning the grates. And there's many that get by just fine without doing that.

Dealing with the outer bands of a hurricane at the moment, but just finished putting it together. Darth2-D2. Still waiting on the hanging rack and vortex basket. If the weather isn’t awful tomorrow, going to burn it in. Hopefully can cook on it on Saturday.

I have an Auber temp controller that I use for a different smoker, how exactly do I attach the fan to this? The fan fits on the hole on the intake damper, do I just tape over the other holes on the damper with aluminum tape?

U0dXAMC_d.webp

Dealing with the outer bands of a hurricane at the moment, but just finished putting it together. Darth2-D2. Still waiting on the hanging rack and vortex basket. If the weather isn’t awful tomorrow, going to burn it in. Hopefully can cook on it on Saturday.

I have an Auber temp controller that I use for a different smoker, how exactly do I attach the fan to this? The fan fits on the hole on the intake damper, do I just tape over the other holes on the damper with aluminum tape?

U0dXAMC_d.webp

I have a Party Q on mine. The WSM adapter came with foil tape. Keep the other bottom vets closed and tape the other holes on the adapter vent.

t9vGMCD.jpg

RNmQ4hq.jpg

On edit, Stay safe. Zeta is the 7th named storm to hit Louisiana this season. Lara really hurt us. Looks like Mississippi and Alabama are going to get this one after it's done with Morgan City and NOLA.

Last edited:
No damage from the hurricane thankfully. Just some branches down and lots of rain. I have aluminum tape from fixing my dryer exhaust duct, so I’ll just cover the extra holes in the intake damper with that.

Last edited:
Back