Kamado Grill Safe On Wood Deck?

I've used my weber on a wood deck for years. Other than a tiny piece of charcoal falling out of the chimney I've never had an issue

I use my Weber charcoal grill on my wood deck as well as my UDS, but I have cement blocks under my UDS as a heat buffer.

Last edited:
Totally safe?
Getting out of bed is not totally safe.
But yes, I too have use many different cookers, charcoal, wood, and gas on my wooden deck, and never had an issue.
Just need to be reasonable careful.

Just be careful... Every cooker i've had for the last 22 years has been on a wood deck... Stick burners... Kettles... Gassers... And now, a primo oval... No problems

Just to make sure nothing bad will ever happen put a big fire extinguisher next to it.

I don't have a wooden deck, just a concrete porch, but I still use a grill mat to keep any grease off, the mats are fireproof and washable.

I have my Primo Oval XL built into a wooden table so it can't be too bad.

Like Ol'Joe said you may want to get a grill mat or car cargo liner in you are worried about sparks falling out but they rarely do.

I originally kept mine on the deck. Definitely would recommend a mat though. Just be careful using a chimney on a deck. Or better yet dont use it at all. I was dumping lit charcoal into the grill and didn't know there were a few stragglers in the chimney when I set it down. It was only on the deck for a few seconds but left scorch marks.
IMG_3944.jpg

I have since moved it to a dead area of my yard. Plus when I have to clean out the cold ash, I just use the ash tool and scoop it right to the grass. I did have to put it on some slabs down to prevent the wheels from sinking when it rains.

IMG_4929.jpg

Honestly the Akorn (or any Kamado really) is about as safe as you can get for a charcoal grill on a wooden deck. I used to cook on mine on my deck all the time without ever having an issue. Any ash/embers will just fall down into the ash pan. Especially on low and slow cooks where the vent will be barely cracked open there isn't really any place for embers or ash to escape. Also I never used a chimney with my Akorn like I do with my Kettle so it's safer in that respect also. I always made sure my Kettle was on the concrete slab when I used it though. It's a Silver model without the ash catcher and just seemed too sketchy on a wooden deck. Embers would always fall down in to the ash pan and from there could blow all over the place.

I have had a ceramic kamado on a wooden deck on the ceramic feet for about a decade now without anything underneath and have not had a problem. I have seen a picture in the past showing a hole in someones deck from a kamado. I don't have a screen on my bottom either. It still would be better to be safe than sorry.

I have my whole fleet of cookers on our wooden deck. I have only had problems when I screw up. The worst was when one briquet was left in the chimney(I didn't see it) and popped out and rolled under a stainless table next to a post. Burned through the deck and I didn't notice till the next day. Could have been the whole deck or worse. Just be careful with the chimney.....

I use a weber kettle, PBC, 22.5 WSM all on my wood deck. I was very careful the first few cooks with each, with extinguisher at my side but all proved harmless. I put 24"x24" paver panels under the PBC and wsm just for piece of mind but the kettle doesn't.

I think the Akorn is less likely to have an issue than any of mine.

Back