THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4uweque

Full Fledged Farker
I've been volunteered to cook BBQ for a group of 80 people, I'm planning to smoke 4 8.5 to 9 pound butts. Do you pros think that will be enough?

Depends on how much other food.
Personally, I'd try to hit about 50 pounds raw weight. I get about 60% so that would be 30# cooked x 3 orders per pound would give me about 90 sandwiches. But YMMV!

i personally always figure 1lb per person raw meat. so I would go for 80lbs raw weight figuring 50% loss that would give everyone a good 8oz portion. Some will eat more some less depending on the crew your feedin

1.0 - 1.25 pounds raw per person total. Maybe 1.5 if you want to give them take home bags.

I think Michael is write on. My uncle was a professional chef. He always told me 8 to 10 oz of meat per person (cooked). So the fact he estimating about 1 lb raw sounds right.

i personally always figure 1lb per person raw meat. so I would go for 80lbs raw weight figuring 50% loss that would give everyone a good 8oz portion. Some will eat more some less depending on the crew your feedin

That is the way I figure also, leftovers are a good thing.

Tomorrow is the day, I'll let you know how it goes. I have 54 raw pounds of shoulder, and I'm firing up the smoker now!

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Back