THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.
Ring of fire, with a water pan in the middle, with the brisket over the pan. You should get like, 6hrs minimum, and possibly a lot more depending on how hot you leave your fire.

I use a ring of fire setup in my kettle sometimes with no water pan and can get a solid 8+ hours at 275. The water will make sure you use a bit more fuel, but i'd bet you could keep a brisket at 225-250 for at least 6. You'll get some sleep, maybe not a ton, but better than tending it all night long!

All these ring of fire set ups seem great for smaller cuts, but I'm concerned that for a large brisket it will be too exposed directly to the fire and get dried out. I think this weekend I'm going to try use the smokenator, filling up with coal to the top and without the small water pan - then just putting a big loaf pan filled with water next to the heat. Curious to see how long this will go for.
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I did 2 15lb packers (only cooked one each time) with the ring of fire method. Your meat won't be dry unless you undercook it or severely overcook it.

I am fairly new at BBQ and got my first grill June 4 my birthday a 18.5" Weber One Touch Silver kettle. I smoked a 9lb brisket for 16 hours on the kettle and I have done a pork shoulder for 12 hours. I didn't know there was a name for it but apparently something called the minion method is pretty similar if not identical to what I tried. How I did it was I took 82 pieces of charcoal Kingsford of course I split them into two piles I then added a water pan in the middle of the charcoal and I added cherry wood chips directly to the water pan to give it a smoky flavor which seems to work really well for adding a nice hint of smoke. Anyways to light the fire I used my old potato can turned into a charcoal chimney to light 14 more bricks I added 7 to each side I had them stacked 4 rows with 10 bricks on each row then I added the 7 lit coals to the top I closed the top vent to about half and left the bottom vent open and I tried to keep to a minimum with sweeping the ash out of the bottom. That way it had less oxygen so it would burn slower. I opened the grill up halfway through the cook and flipped the meat and continued to cook. The food came out great and I still had black charcoal in the bottom both times that still had not burned. I just closed the vents to put the fire out. I can't seem to find anyone actually adding wood directly to their water pans but I think what happens is that the tannins in the wood leach out into the water and the water with the tannins turns to steam and adds the smokey flavor I am looking for. Just wondering not to get to far off topic if anyone had used the water pan to add a smokey flavor to their meat? Anyways I have never tried to go beyond 16 hours I have not had a need to but I don't see why a cook of 20+hours is not possible on a weber kettle grill. I held a temp between 200-250. Mind I am still learning how to use the vents to control the temp but I can see it can be done and I feel with practice I can get the temp very stable I am still learning to use my equipment. I had the smallest full size kettle they make that is not table top version so I imagine with a bigger grill it can go on for awhile.

I am fairly new at BBQ and got my first grill June 4 my birthday a 18.5" Weber One Touch Silver kettle. I smoked a 9lb brisket for 16 hours on the kettle and I have done a pork shoulder for 12 hours. I didn't know there was a name for it but apparently something called the minion method is pretty similar if not identical to what I tried. How I did it was I took 82 pieces of charcoal Kingsford of course I split them into two piles I then added a water pan in the middle of the charcoal and I added cherry wood chips directly to the water pan to give it a smoky flavor which seems to work really well for adding a nice hint of smoke. Anyways to light the fire I used my old potato can turned into a charcoal chimney to light 14 more bricks I added 7 to each side I had them stacked 4 rows with 10 bricks on each row then I added the 7 lit coals to the top I closed the top vent to about half and left the bottom vent open and I tried to keep to a minimum with sweeping the ash out of the bottom. That way it had less oxygen so it would burn slower. I opened the grill up halfway through the cook and flipped the meat and continued to cook. The food came out great and I still had black charcoal in the bottom both times that still had not burned. I just closed the vents to put the fire out. I can't seem to find anyone actually adding wood directly to their water pans but I think what happens is that the tannins in the wood leach out into the water and the water with the tannins turns to steam and adds the smokey flavor I am looking for. Just wondering not to get to far off topic if anyone had used the water pan to add a smokey flavor to their meat? Anyways I have never tried to go beyond 16 hours I have not had a need to but I don't see why a cook of 20+hours is not possible on a weber kettle grill. I held a temp between 200-250. Mind I am still learning how to use the vents to control the temp but I can see it can be done and I feel with practice I can get the temp very stable I am still learning to use my equipment. I had the smallest full size kettle they make that is not table top version so I imagine with a bigger grill it can go on for awhile.

you got your vents backwards...leave the top vent open full when you're cooking, and use the bottom to control your temps. I wouldn't bother flipping things like brisket or pork shoulder...just throw 'em on, and leave 'em alone until they probe tender :thumb:

I can get 10-12 hours (estimate based on shorter cooks and charcoal left over) from my Ring of Fire method. I made a charcoal basket using the bottom charcoal grate and fastening a 4" tall ring of expanded metal around the diameter of the grate as the outside wall and then a 8-9" stainless bowl/pot in the center to make the inner wall of my ring. Fill the pot with water and then place ceramic baking tile on the cooking surface as a heat/drip shield. I can run mine with the bottom vent entirely closed and run on average about 230-250F. Top vent wide open.

Last edited:
Back