Yakitori Day

One of the Japanese restaurants I've visited has several industrial versions of the Konro. Looks like they have a hard time keeping the mesh together too;

http://www.rokaakor.com/locations/scottsdale/gallery/
Oooo, there is a branch in S.F.

Yes, the mesh seems sacrificial, and I have never gotten a good answer why they don't use heavier grates, although, I suspect that it has to do with wanting the char from direct heat, and not charring from grates.

Absolutely, fantastic yakitori!! Thanks for posting. I've never used binchotan but there's a place near here, in Little Tokyo, that sells them at a whopping $5/lb. I'm gonna have to try some of that one of these days, just to see for myself.

It was my son-in-law's birthday yesterday and I also did yakitori for the crowd. I took my homemade 3' long yakitori grill with me. I placed a small expanded metal grate on one part of the grill for those odd, skewered and non-skewered items. Otherwise, the rest of the skewered items rested on open steel rails over the coals.

P1070311_zpsf76fc10b.jpg

Togarashi oil is chili oil? Assuming so, from what I remember of togarashimi and shichimi. Tokyo negi is what I always knew as naganegi. Unless tokyo negi is better known as a leek?

Dunno :D

Love my eggplant halved in frying oil, with fresh ginger and shoyu for dipping.

Man, I'm getting hungry.. :D

Matthew Z

Carbon, you're the one that inspired me to get started on a few Krono's. Mine will measure 24" L x 10" H x 10" W and unfortunately, won't look near as fancy as yours.

Dang Bob......errrrrrrr Jed
That looks like a ton of work BUT it REALLY looks GOOD!
I am usually not a big fan of oriental cuisine, but I sure would hit that.
Thanks for sharing

Carbon, that grill unit rocks, I think it is one of the best I have seen.

The Binchotan is pricey, and it is great stuff.

Tokyo Negi is the large green onion, Naganegi is the same thing. Here, we called it Tokyo Negi.

Back