USDA requirements for JERKY

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe Bowie
I have made smoked beef jerky for several years for personal and family friends. I m considering stepping it up to some retail. A USDA Publication I have says to cook meat in oven to 160f then dry it with method of choice. In my case my choice is smoking.

My concern USDA says to maintain Humidity in the oven at 90% during cooking process. There is also terminology of maintaining (water activity of 85). How is a poor boy to do this with limited equipment.

I hope I am posting in correct category.

We have a state act called the "Wyoming Food Freedom Act" which allows certain foods to be made in a home kitchen without inspection. The sale of certain things can take place at a farmers market, a ranch, a private home or delivered.... but the sale is limited to one person for their use. Not to be re-sold or sold to a restaurant for them to sell to their customers. As weird as it sounds, beef jerky is not on the approved list. Maybe contact the state of Texas and see if anything like this is available.

A couple of friends looked into a jerky business for pretty much 100% online sales, this article might help with some ideas.

http://jerkyingredients.com/starting-a-business/

Talk with your state's Department of Agriculture. I haven't played with the USDA, but from what I've heard, I don't really want to.

Back