THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little clarification:
Ground beef aka hamburger is not steak (no matter what cut of meat is ground).
The state of NC has now stipulated that unless the beef is ground on premises then the restaurant cannot serve it below medium-well.

While I am not a proponent of anyone telling me how to eat my meat, I am a huge fan of this new regulation.

Ground beef is a great way to get e-coli and other nasty stuff. If can happen during the grind, and even more so after the grind.

So If I go into a restaurant and they tell me they have to cook it med-well, that also tells me their meat is not ground fresh and we are putting our trust in their food service suppliers.
Yea med-well sounds good.

Now steak is a different story, if any restaurant wants to prepare me anything above med-rare, I know one of two things.
1. The steak is so thin, they cant cook it below medium.
2. The chef is an idiot.

Now in the finer establishments that grind their own beef, give me that sucker medium rare.

Steaks: rare side of medium rare.
Prime rib: rare (130 internal)
You'll get no argument from me.
A medium rare burger anywhere else will get me doing a Brave Sir Robin.<sound of coconut shell halves clapping>
That IS a good regulation!:thumb:

Who cares , this horse has been rode to death if you want your steak rare cook it at home ,Just because you like your steak rare doesn't mean you are a food expert or have some special taste buds, maybe if your steak is dried out when cooking med. well you should improve your cooking skills I never have that problem.

There is a local market in my town that sells irradiated ground beef. you can eat that stuff raw if you want.

A little clarification:
Ground beef aka hamburger is not steak (no matter what cut of meat is ground).
The state of NC has now stipulated that unless the beef is ground on premises then the restaurant cannot serve it below medium-well.

While I am not a proponent of anyone telling me how to eat my meat, I am a huge fan of this new regulation.

Ground beef is a great way to get e-coli and other nasty stuff. If can happen during the grind, and even more so after the grind.

So If I go into a restaurant and they tell me they have to cook it med-well, that also tells me their meat is not ground fresh and we are putting our trust in their food service suppliers.
Yea med-well sounds good.

Now steak is a different story, if any restaurant wants to prepare me anything above med-rare, I know one of two things.
1. The steak is so thin, they cant cook it below medium.
2. The chef is an idiot.

Now in the finer establishments that grind their own beef, give me that sucker medium rare.

Steaks: rare side of medium rare.
Prime rib: rare (130 internal)

Bro,

If they don't keep up on cleaning their kitchen, you're no safer if they grind it there. In fact, you may be less safe.

Oh man I lived in NJ when they had that stupid egg law. Just ridiculous. I stopped going to diners for that. Or we drove to Philly to go to a diner.

A properly cooked flat iron...

flat3.jpg

How dare you over-cook a flat iron like that? You should be ashamed of yourself! :hand::crazy::tsk::becky:

WTF :shocked: !?!?

For years many resturaunts stated right on the menu that they would not be responsible for the tenderness of any steak ordered cooked past medium. If I can't order it "Rare" with a capital "R" then I'm going to walk out & say fark 'em!

Amen, brother. I've been known to ask for "extra rare" at some restaurants, when I've ordered rare and gotten med-rare there before. With a nice hot grill, 30-45 seconds per side is all it takes for a steak. For me that is. Quickest way to turn me into an unsatisfied customer is to overcook my steak.

No, I don't think the rare eaters will disappear completely. As time goes on, more and more meats should become more and more safe (assuming there's no major outbreak of something like mad cow, etc or some new mutation creating a super-food-bug) much like the way in which pork is now safe when it wasn't years ago. I'd say that as processing and handling of foods gets safer and safer, more people will be willing to try the rare side...I hope, anyway.

Amen, brother. I've been known to ask for "extra rare" at some restaurants, when I've ordered rare and gotten med-rare there before. With a nice hot grill, 30-45 seconds per side is all it takes for a steak. For me that is. Quickest way to turn me into an unsatisfied customer is to overcook my steak.

No, I don't think the rare eaters will disappear completely. As time goes on, more and more meats should become more and more safe (assuming there's no major outbreak of something like mad cow, etc or some new mutation creating a super-food-bug) much like the way in which pork is now safe when it wasn't years ago. I'd say that as processing and handling of foods gets safer and safer, more people will be willing to try the rare side...I hope, anyway.

Nice post. I hadn't looked (thought) at it from that angle.

Wow, Michael!Mmmmm, I think you must have specially developed taste buds and a highly developed palate like me.
You learn so much on forums, I thought it was just preferences till justridge educated me:wink:
Still can't figure out why we must be banned from eating it out and only allowed to cook it that way at home.
Oooooh, is it so we don't freak out the 'girls' at the next table?:laugh:

Disclaimer:tone is difficult but I am only teasing

Bro,

If they don't keep up on cleaning their kitchen, you're no safer if they grind it there. In fact, you may be less safe.

You got that right. I've worked in a restaurant that ground it's own meat before, and it wasn't a pretty sight. I'm guessing that a lot of places that grind their own use the "waste" meats from cutting their own steaks. That means that the meat sat out at room temp for who knows how long while the steaks were being cut, and then again while it was being grounded. Those meat grinders are difficult to get completely clean, and lazy people wanna just run it through a dishwasher and call it done. All of these factors were what lead me to put a stop to grinding our own beef while I was still a part of that restaurant.

Odds are, IMHO, you're actually MORE safe eating something that's been factory processed. I used to work at a burger restaurant that got all of their meat in frozen. I'd eat burgers there med-rare or below all the time. It was frozen and irradiated (which is not as scary as you think) before it ever came through the door. Nothing left alive on those suckers. Can't say the same for a restaurant that does it's own grinding.

Back