Team clean...

bbqwizard

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Phillip
Before an argument ensues on whether or not you lose flavor by cooking in pans, I am merely sharing my experience. You do not. Now, there could be a viable argument on the fact that searing drippings add extra flavor as they hit the hot steel and permeate the atmosphere, I get that. But as I get older, cleaning (removing the nasty) just doesn't appeal as much, and there is just something proud about having a clean machine.

I never used to be a fan of cooking in pans. However, I am a HUGE fan of using a clean smoker. So, I guess pans it is.

Do you like to smoke food in pans? Team clean?

Attachments

• 20220305_153514.jpg
    20220305_153514.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 149
In my Shirley, if the cook volume allowed for it, I’d often cook above foil pans located on the shelf below the food to make cleanup easier. I only cooked IN a pan a few times, my concern was still making sure airflow and smoke got on the underside of the meat for at least half the cook. I will say, the few times that I had that smoker loaded full of meat on every rack was probably some of the best barbecue I put out - which I partially attributed to the juices and what not hitting the reverse flow plate, sizzling, and atomizing.

I can't get as good of bark in pans.

I have the exact same type of grates. Twice a year I clean them with a weed burner and a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Takes about five minutes a grate.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

depends on what I am cooking. It can go both ways. Sometimes pans and sometimes no pans. Turkey is better split in half in pans. Brisket on the grate then wrapped in foil. Pork Butt in pans and sometimes right on the grate just because the results are different. Not better or worse just different and it depends on what I am in the mood for. Sometimes I just don't have disposable pans and don't want to ruin my wife's good pans so right on the grate it is.

I cook in pans a lot. I like the jerky type wire racks that fit over pans. I stopped using pans in one of my new cookers. I cleaned it after every cook. I didn't cook in it for 5-6 weeks. The grates and baffle plate were covered in mold. I know... my fault for not cooking more often. But with pans, this never happens.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I line most of my cookers with HD aluminum foil where it doesn't impede with airflow. Win win! Especially with chicken. Chicken grease it my pet peeve.

I do love a clean smoker/grill and the ease of clean up so I'm with you.

Back