THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like to smoke and then braise in some butter and beef broth.

hZqe610h.jpg
they look good John. for how long do you smoke them before braising?

Oxtail is great. Since it is now much harder to find meat bones (at least for me), it's one of my go-to items in terms of making a beef stock.

Salt and Pepper the pieces, then get a good sear on it (brown meat is tasty meat), deglaze with a water type substance (wine, apple juice, plain water, etc.) scrape off all the brown bits and throw it all in your stock pot with your veggies (carrots, onion, shallot, garlic, and celery for me), your herbs and spices (salt, pepper, rosemary, parsley, sage (no thyme for me...sorry S&G fans) and any other flavors your might want tied into a bouquet garni. Add in the appropriate amount of water and let it simmer until ready (many hours unless you use a pressure cooker). Once done, strain and toss the solids. Gives the deep rich taste of a broth, with the mouthfeel of a stock.

I use it mostly for cooking a beef and barley vegetable soup (nothing beats this for a cold winter day, not even chili), beef stroganoff, or even for simple things like cooking rice.

I'm late to this party, but I've smoked and stewed ox tail twice in the last 6 months.

The first time was to make some Au Jus for a rib roast. Basically, I smoked them at 250 for about 2 hours and then put them in a pot with aromatics and some water till they were tender and most of the flavor in the meat was gone. Strained all the solids out of it and I was left with Au Jus.

The second time was to make a Jamaican ox tail from Mr. Make It Happen on YouTube. Had to guess at some of the measurements as he didn't give a written recipe in the video description, but it still turned out good. Strained out the meat and used some of the liquid over rice. And the remaining liquids were frozen to be used for seasoning rice or noodles at a later date.

I've still got one 3lb pack in the freezer. I'll have to look over the recipes in this thread and make one of them with that final package.

I've always wanted to try oxtail, but never really knew how to cook it. Thanks to all who have participated in this thread, and to OP, for starting the thread...very good discussion here with plenty of videos showcasing various ways of cooking oxtail. I've never been a fan of braised beef, but I do love the flavor and texture of confit beef, so I think I'll try the "smoke, then confit" method. I'm out of the US until the end of the year, but this will be one of the first new things I cook when I get back to my smoker!

Back