Sanctioned Competition vs Local "Rib Burn" Flavor Profiles

Jlems

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
Does anyone have experience doing both competitions with ribs or other meats? When competing in a KCBS event I think everyone has an idea of where their flavors need to be, but with local Rib Burn competitions where there may be only one or two KCBS judges (or none) and the rest are Joes and Janes, does anyone move their flavor profile substantially into another direction, like more savory/smoky?
To expand on this, is there any merit to pushing the cook temp further into fall off the bone territory?

I've been having a difficult time finding my bearings with these smaller competitions...:cry:

Does anyone have experience doing both competitions with ribs or other meats? When competing in a KCBS event I think everyone has an idea of where their flavors need to be, but with local Rib Burn competitions where there may be only one or two KCBS judges (or none) and the rest are Joes and Janes, does anyone move their flavor profile substantially into another direction, like more savory/smoky?
To expand on this, is there any merit to pushing the cook temp further into fall off the bone territory?

I've been having a difficult time finding my bearings with these smaller competitions...:cry:

Local backyard rib contests can be a slippery slope, especially if they have some celebrity judges... like a local disc jockey, the food editor from the news paper, or the Police Chief. I can tell you ribs lean more toward FOTB, and most cooks choose loin back ribs. In my area, local contest judges eat a lot. Have you ever thought of turning in Hollywood cut ribs?

I do A backyard rib burn in this guy's backyard every winter. the thing is crazy, some of the best cooks in the region show up and the best of them still win consistently. I'm sure there are some experienced judges there but I'd guess a fair share of fill ins. in general I think over tender is better than under. you may score decent with a fotb rib but no one likes a tough bone

This is all what I’ve had a hunch on, cook these things like the local restaurants do and maybe remind them of home a little. I think the Hollywood cut is a great idea, give them a giant bite!

I know of that backyarder in February haha I give y’all credit, those can be some brutal conditions!

As others have said, for rib burn comps fall off the bone tender and make them sweet as candy.

I agree whole heartedly - fall off the bones and lots of whatever sauce is sweet and tangy. Think crockpot texture.

I've done a few local rib comps in our area and done fairly well with local judges. I just cook my KCBS rib. Don't make any changes.

I do tend to make sure it's over vs under but i do that anyhow with KCBS. A good rib is a good rib. No matter who is judging.

Good luck! let us know how it goes!

Because of local politics at play we avoid the non-kcbs events and people's choice. Have had contests where the local guy with the grease fire who charred all his ribs still won... Also see the people who will pay to win by giving away whole dinners.

That being said - I would push them further if I were doing a non-kcbs event.

Well, luckily this didn’t appear to be fixed or predetermined, so that’s good! Went with a KCBS rib but cooked to 208 or so, just barely before falling off the bone, and left with a call and some money in my pocket. Appreciate all the advice!! :-D

Back