Raw pork rib refreeze safety question

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello brethren,

I ordered 2 sets of Dinos an 2 sets of spares for Porter road. They shipped the "flat rate". They took a week to arrive. I was going to smoke one rack of Dinos, and hold the rest in the freezer. I am planning on smoking the 2 sets of pork spares next Saturday.

Here's my question. I placed the raw pork spares in my deep freezer. Is there any concern about refreezing raw pork ribs?

Thanks in advance.
JD
P.S. , the dinos came out great.

I’m not a food safety expert, but whenever I buy ribs in the grocery store it seems most have already been frozen since they’re only half frozen or less when I get ‘em. I’ve never had an issue putting them in the freezer til I’m ready.

But I even refreeze leftover meat that has been repurposed into another dish, like chili or ham n beans.

Like already said they are frozen in the grocery store when they put them out.
I've always heard if you unthaw in the fridge you are good to refreeze

IMHO it's not the refreezing that causes problems, though the more times you freeze it, the more chances ice crystals have to puncture cell walls and make it mushy.

The problem is the thaw cycle. If you thaw it by leaving on the counter you're asking for trouble. Remember the meat can only stay in the danger zone of 40-140 degrees for a total of 2 hours over it's life. If you're letting it thaw in the fridge, you should be fine, aside from the texture part.

IMHO it's not the refreezing that causes problems, though the more times you freeze it, the more chances ice crystals have to puncture cell walls and make it mushy.

The problem is the thaw cycle. If you thaw it by leaving on the counter you're asking for trouble. Remember the meat can only stay in the danger zone of 40-140 degrees for a total of 2 hours over it's life. If you're letting it thaw in the fridge, you should be fine, aside from the texture part.

Thanks much!
JD

Back