NMFO's and COFO's........Help with Family Vacation Route

BobBrisket

Name or Nickame
Bob
Looking at planning our summer vacation camping route.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...7068&sspn=29.496064,86.220703&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=6
Any suggestions from those of you that may have traveled this route pertaining to RV Parks in those areas, things to do, places to see, great fishing locations, hot spring locations, etc. Albuquerque will be be a one night stop going up, and maybe two or three nights on the way back. There will be 3+ nights in South Fork (planning to stay at Fun Valley RV Park in South Fork), maybe Lightner RV Park in Durango. Nothing set in Pagosa Springs yet. Other than lots of fishing, having fun with the kids, cooking, eating, drinking, hittin it:twisted:, and the Narrow Gauge Railway tour in Durango, http://www.durangotrain.com/ I don't have much planned out for the family. If you know of any cool places to drive out to in those areas or restaurants, whatever, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Bob

You guys are killing me with the irony today.

First a battery question from user: energyzer, and now Rex starts a thread that needs to be moderated and moved into a different area.

I don't think Rex modded his own thread, since he wouldn't have left the "ghost" placement.

Gagging on irony mod

You guys are killing me with the irony today.

First a battery question from user: energyzer, and now Rex starts a thread that needs to be moderated and moved into a different area.

I don't think Rex modded his own thread, since he wouldn't have left the "ghost" placement.

Gagging on irony mod

Whatcha talking bout, Bill?:confused:

Just don't get stuck in the shower, Bro!:twisted:
My two kids don't let that happen much these days!:becky: You gonna be out and about in July?

I spend a fair amount of time in Durango and have made the drive from Houston countless times. I don't know enough about ABQ to comment but I can give you some input on 'things to do' in SW Colorado.

Camping

I have hiked up at Lightner Creek and the Lightner RV campground looks like a nice one. Another area you might consider is up by Lemon Reservoir . Transfer Park Campground is at the head of lake. There is good trout fishing where the Florida River comes into the lake and good hiking in the San Juan National Forest all around the campground. The campground is beautiful, especially the spots near the river. I frequently see RVs in the campground. Our family has a house nearby and I spend a good deal of time down in the river and lake.

Restaurants (Durango)

Carver Brewing: Main St. in Durango. Great brews made on site. Nice outdoor patio out back. My kids love this place. Awesome breakfast.

Steamworks Brewing: 2nd Avenue between 8th and 9th. Best craft brew in Colorado in my opinion. Great for lunch or brewskis. Nice outdoor deck.

Serious Texas BBQ: It's on 550 just south of downtown. It backs up to the river and has a nice outdoor area. BBQ is good. The owner is a good guy.

Durango Diner: 10th and Main. If you like a greasy spoon - this is the spot. I like it...Hangover helper.

Restaurants (Silverton):

If you ride the train up to Silverton. Try the Brown Bear Cafe or The Pickle Barrell.

Stuff to Do

Here is some stuff we like to do (in no particular order):

Durango Rec Center - There is an awesome public pool and gym about 23rd Street on 550. It has an huge indoor pool area with activities for all ages.

Durango Nature Center - 16th and Main. There is a neat little nature center with information on wildlife in SW Colorado - run by Parks and Wildlife. There is a rainbow trout hatchery on site (some monsters in the tank by the entrance). You can walk the Animas River Trail next to the nature center back to town or up to the new library. There is a park nearby.

Durango Mountain Resort - On your way from Durango to Silverton on 550 there is the Purgatory Ski Resort. They have an Alpine Slide and all kinds of outdoor programs in the summer. you can ride the lift up and hike down, etc. My kids love the Alpine Slide.

Mild & Wild: This is a rafting outfitter at 33rd and 550. We take a trip with them every year. Our 2 year old can't go but my daughter (4) loves it. Great views of the mountains and the river goes right through town so it's fun. Rapids are fun but not crazy.

Hiking: There is more hiking than you can shake a stick at. I can send you some of my favorite trails if you like or you can look some up. If you like day hikes, great place to spend time.

DSNRR: You'll like the train ride. You might consider taking the train one way and riding back by car. Both ways on the train can be a long day. We usually have my parents drop us off in Silverton and then take the train back to Durango.

Creek Fishing: I enjoy big river fly fishing but I have small kids so we tend to creek fish alot. There are a number of good spots I can point you to if you like (send me a PM) that have good access and plentiful fishing.

Old 100: If you spend time in Silverton, I always like the Old 100 gold mine tour. It's corny but I like it.

Bar D Chuckwagon: What vacation is complete without a Chuckwagon. We go every year (sometimes twice). The music is excellent and a real family affair.

We'll be out there the first couple of weeks of August. I always look forward to our vacation there. Feel free to PM me any questions. Have a good trip!

WOW!!!! Thanks a bunch. You just planned out our stay in Durango. Our plan is to take the train up, and then the bus back down. A friend of ours mentioned that both ways on the train can make for a long day. Plus, he mentioned that our kids would probably fall asleep on the way back down just like his kids did. So a nice bus ride back will let all of us take a nap. I would love to know about those fishing spots. If they arent' too top secret, you could post em in this thread for others to know about as well, otherwise PM em to me.
Do you know if Transfer Park has RV hook ups? Specifically, sewer hooks ups or a dump station? I have enough tank capacity in the 5th wheel for 3 days or so, but would need to empty those tanks upon leaving.
Also, where do you shop for groceries in that area. We will be needing to stock up by that time for sure.
Those restaurants sound fantastic. A good brew is always a good thing. I'll need to give that bbq joint a try. A couple of kid friendly hiking trails that you could recommend would be great as well. Thank you so much for all of that info! We appreciate it. :thumb:

Bob

Fishing (TOP SECRET)

You can fish the inlet of the Florida River into Lemon Lake. I take the kids down there almost every day and fish in the late afternoon. Salmon eggs or pink powerbait will catch you all the rainbows you want. There are some big browns down there too but they are hard to catch.

Hermosa Creek: On 550 going north you cross Hermosa Creek. Take County Road 203 West then immediately turn onto CR201. Follow it to the end and park - that is the southern trail head for Hermosa Creek Trail. The creek is to the west from teh parking area and you can walk up it and fish for almost 10 miles. There is a mountain bike/hiking trail adjacent to the creek for a long way up that is a fun ride. You can fish that creek for rainbows and brookies higher up.

Upper Animas: If you go to Silverton, the Upper Animas Creek runs into and through town. If you go out of town (toward the Old 100 mine) there is a gravel road that runs by the creek and well into the National Forest. You can pull over and fish that creek right below the mine and as far up as you want. In many places it's only five or six feet wide. Lots of brook trout.

Hikes

There are trail heads in town. One I use frequently is just west of the Animas River and north of 25th Street. Find a map for the Junction Creek trail head. Many nice views of the mountains, the river and town. There is a Forest Service Campground at Junction Creek too. Pull through sites for the RV, some water, some electric. It is closer to town if that suits you and also close to hiking/fishing. More people than Transfer Park for sure but closer to town.

Vallecito Creek Trail: Great hike from the Vallecito Campground on the north shore of Vallecito Reservoir (also a nice campground but pretty busy in the summer). Follows Vallecito Creek up. Spectacular scenery, an open alpine meadow about 3.5 miles up the trail is a good picnic spot.

Burnt Creek Timber Trail: If you stay at Transfer Park, hike this trail out and back as far as you want. It loops all the way through the park and up to the Continental Divide (about a three day backpack trip) but you'll see some pretty views along the way.

Other
I don't think any of the Forest Service campgrounds have dump sites. There is a free one at the Durango Chamber of Commerce on Highway 160 in town (near Home Depot).

Our house is out by Lemon Reservoir (about 35 minutes). We buy groceries in Durango or Bayfield. There are two City Markets in town. The one on 32nd is the one I use most. There is a liquor store adjacent just in case.

High Q,

Outstanding information! Thank you very much. Thanks for tossing in the hint about the liquor store. :wink: Hehe!!

cds9333--Thanks for the tip about the pitstop in Chimayo! We appreciate it.

Bob

Back