Low Carb (Keto) Pulled BBQ Pork Sandwich

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Diabetics can enjoy BBQ sandwiches too! :)

BBQ'd pork butt sauced with Shack Attack. A dollop of Zero Sugar Added Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce on bottom with a few dill pickle slices. Pork added. Topped with more low carb Sweet Baby Rays. All in toasted homemade zero carb yeasted keto buns. Total net carbs around 5 grams I figure.

Was delicious :) I have bun recipe if anyone wants it.

uc

(From my Paprika recipe manager software.)

Keto Buns w/ Almond Flour, Psyllium & Yeast

Description:
Smells and tastes wonderful with the yeast in it. Psyllium husk acts as the “gluten” which holds the yeast gases in allowing it to rise. A couple tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar gives it a subtle sour taste like homemade sourdough bread. The minimal amount of starch in the almond flour provides enough food for the yeast; the yeast consumes most all of it to where it’s only about 1g net carbs per half bun.

Ingredients:
140 grams almond flour
45 grams psyllium husk powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
220 grams boiling distilled (chlorine free) water
3 egg whites
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all dry ingredients well with whisk in glass or stainless steel bowl. Pour the boiling water into a large mug or glass measuring cup, which will start to cool it a bit, then immediately pour the measured water and into dry ingredients and quickly stir with a spoon. Add in the apple cider vinegar and egg whites. Mix well with hands kneading it, folding it over on itself several times while turning the bowl. Divide into six evenly sized balls. Flatten to thin patties. (It helps to have water moistened hands while shaping dough into balls and thin patties.) Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Let rise for 10 minutes. Bake in 350F preheated oven for 45 mins (or so) until medium dark brown.

Notes:
Let cool down and air dry for a couple hours.. the place in gallon zip lock, half way open and stick in the fridge overnight -- I find it's better to eat them the next day when they have dried out a bit inside.. water evaporating. I broil for 5 mins at 500F in small convection countertop oven to toast them up -- I haven't tried a bbq grill yet but imagine it'd be good that way as well.

Btw, my personal opinion: since these have psyllium husk in them it's perhaps best not to eat more than 1 or 2 of these buns per day, allowing intestines some room to clear it, it's gummy stuff and expads.

Last edited:
Back