THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, maybe your "solution" of making all tables scores similar is a straw man that does deserve to get knocked down.

I am not hampered by any actual experience or data here, but what I would do if I were "leveling" judges would be to look at how their historical scores compared to their table average. Then in assigning judges to a table I would try to match a judge that usually scored below the table average with one that usually scored above, then maybe add a couple of judges that typically scored near their table average, etc.

This would recognize that different tables had different food to judge but it would tend, I think, to reduce the effect of outlier judges at any table. And maybe over the long haul the outliers would move more towards table averages as they compared themselves to their tables.

But, that said, I am kind of agnostic on this new judge assignment thing. I am too new to really have the historical perspective that would let me have a valid opinion.

My “solution” is to leave you guys alone and let you do your job. Seat at complete random. I most assuredly do not want level results. I’m not sure who’s post you read, but it wasn’t mine.

If you’re putting force to meat by smooshing or pulling it with your fingers, that’s not an objective tenderness test. Your force is different than another judge’s and the interpretation derived therefrom is therefore highly questionable. If you want to drape a brisket slice over your finger to test before your mouth bites in, go for it. That, at least, has a consistent result across the board. Thumbing and pulling meat - although some of you judges may have the golden touch - over thinks and confuses the process your mouth is designed to judge way better. If KCBS wants to outlaw that, I’m all for it.

What would the data need to show to prove that it’s working?

That's just it...what does the data show? How has it changed? You say that the solution does not address the problem but you fail to state the problem!

You say write down the problem and then provide the solution but what about writing down the problem from 4 different tables of 6 different judges doesn't provide you with a solution...that's how a contest is judged! That is the problem!

Okay, I digress. Honestly, the solution is to have every single judge taste every single entry and rank them. That is true objective....but not KCBS. How do you objectively divide subjective entries?

KCBS judging is not broken. It’s the best system by far. I think most cooks get frustrated by the 2-3 low outlier judges at each contest and that’s an easy thing to blame on the ride home.

I personally don’t think there is a problem, hence my solution of stop messing with it and seat judges at random.

Back