THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

had the pleasure of firing up the pit for sunday dinner with the family. she continues to hum along at 250 at a rate of about 1.5 splits/hour after initial startup. some quick notes:

• brisket turned out fantastic. think it spent too much time in the warming drawer after cook.
  • ribs were a little overcooked, but flavor was ridiculous. 3 different rubs (fave was probably a new one - mesquite smoked salt and ancho chili).
  • fatty was fantastic per usual.
  • pulled pork was a winner, too.

too much fun with this thing. on to the pics (less huge this time, too ;-))...

32575283927_7cd1b4829c_b.jpg

40551665723_a66a6f2833_b.jpg

32575284037_9b28cb05a3_b.jpg

46793917524_5481cbf6a9_b.jpg

40551666013_377dcce003_b.jpg

46793917684_55b77188df_b.jpg

Nice pit. I had not heard of Johnson smokers before. That design looks like it would work well. Do you have any more pictures/details of the baffle and how the heat exits the firebox and enters the cook chamber?

Awesome pit! Welcome to the Johnson Custom Smokers family. I have the 24" and really enjoy cooking with it. Big as it is I still find myself wheeling it out of the garage for a couple of chickens and some sausage. My family thinks the brisket always taste better out of the T-pit vs my other cookers. That 30" is a beauty, congratulations and enjoy!

I think they perform great. it is almost impossible to get bad smoke out of her. at some point, will try to get a time lapsed video. the tbs it produces is incredible - even when adding new splits, it just spits out tbs.

attached are some pics to help understand how the pit operates. to me, the t-pit made a ton of sense:
  • radiant heat from firebox helps heat entire pit
  • arched baffle (pipe cut length wise) runs horizontal to push smoke from firebox to rounded cooking chamber ends
  • baffle is adjustable - can slide left to right to make temps pretty dead even across the cc
  • two piece arched baffle easily removable to clean
  • less overall real estate than similar pits

soon, I will try to move the baffle to one side (or maybe remove) to get a 350ish side of the pit for chickens. would be ecstatic if that becomes a reality. stay tuned...

Attachments

I'm really curious about your baffle plate movement and being able to run hotter at spots. Please update when you give this a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back