THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actually, I had a mix of coals and open fire - I always intend to use just coals but I always end up with flame too! I usually build my fire too big but moderated myself this time; it's a bit easier to handle the meat when the grates aren't so high due to a lot of heat.

I did keep the brasserro loaded to replenish coals as needed but added splits to the fire as well.

Any difference in taste that you can detect when cooking over burned down coals vs a live flame? I always cook my stuff over the open flame (also oak splits), so just curious. Looks absolutely great BTW!

Actually, I had a mix of coals and open fire - I always intend to use just coals but I always end up with flame too! I usually build my fire too big but moderated myself this time; it's a bit easier to handle the meat when the grates aren't so high due to a lot of heat.

I did keep the brasserro loaded to replenish coals as needed but added splits to the fire as well.

Ahh. The best of both worlds.

Any difference in taste that you can detect when cooking over burned down coals vs a live flame? I always cook my stuff over the open flame (also oak splits), so just curious. Looks absolutely great BTW!

I also like to have some open flame. I think it adds a little bit more flavor. But coals make it easier to do low and slow. With flame, cooking temperature seems to fluctuate more that I would like. Still dialing it in.

I've not managed to do a cook over just coals so...

Here in NC, the BBQ tradition is low and slow pork over coals with the coals made from hickory logs and splits burnt down in a separate burn barrel - whole hog in the eastern post of the state and shoulders (or just the butt portion of the shoulder). I've eaten plenty cooker that way but I've never been involved in an actual cook that way since I'm too lazy.

I do know that grilling over wood gives a different flavor than grilling over charcoal. I've grilled the same high quality frozen hamburgers over oak splits (embers and flame) and B&B oak lump and much preferred the "real" wood. I would assume that grilling over all burnt down coals would be somewhere between what I'm doing and charcoal since the embers/coals would have less burnt off volatile stuff than flaming wood but less than charcoal.

Back