THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
I’m on the fence between a MB1050 & Chargriller 980. I prefer the design & construction of the 980 over the MB but the MB is a known sear machine. Since I do more grilling than smoking I’m leaning towards the MB but I’m wondering if you remove the heat baffle over the manifold of the 980 if it Sears as well as the MB? Seems like the baffle helps keep the lower grate cooler on the 980 & prevents flare ups but if you removed it for a grilling session does it equal the flame output of the MB? Anyone care to try the experiment?

I’m on the fence between a MB1050 & Chargriller 980. I prefer the design & construction of the 980 over the MB but the MB is a known sear machine. Since I do more grilling than smoking I’m leaning towards the MB but I’m wondering if you remove the heat baffle over the manifold of the 980 if it Sears as well as the MB? Seems like the baffle helps keep the lower grate cooler on the 980 & prevents flare ups but if you removed it for a grilling session does it equal the flame output of the MB? Anyone care to try the experiment?

I've never tried pulling the baffle, but can say I've seared steaks on it a couple of times with good luck. It'll do every bit of 650-700 degrees.

I've seared on mine, you don't get "flamed kissed" because there's no flame, but I have gotten it over 650, reverse searing steaks is killer on it.

Removing the baffle wouldn't make any positive difference IMO.

Back