Calculating food amount for a group?

HillCountrySmoker

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Casey
So I've never really cooked for a group, just cooking at home for me and the wife. I've debated doing a cook for my office, likely brisket and a pork butt to do pulled pork. Office is about 15 people.
Brisket size maybe 13-14 pounds (pre trim) and a pork butt of 8 ish pounds be enough for lunch?
I know this sounds like a silly and very basic question, but like I said I haven't done cooking for any group of any size so I just don't want to undercook and not have enough for the people I work with every day, haha. Thanks, happy Labor Day Weekend!

A conservative guesstimate of 150 ounces of cooked meat:

150 ounces / 8 ounces per serving (also a little generous) = 18.75 servings.

Put the buns, chips, salads and sides in the serving line first, and have the meat station last with a couple kinds of sauce for self service.

There's nothing wrong with having some brisket and pulled pork leftover. Take some ziploc bags with you.

I generally cooked for an average of 20 people every weekend for my parties. I went with 1/2# per person of protein, and snacks and sides based on the main dish, averaging two half trays of sides, hot or cold, and plenty of snacks. Also, I would often have a pulled meat, like you're doing, with cheese and rolls, and a couple of sauce options. Rolls and cheese are great fillers. Never had much left over. The main thing is to think ahead so you can enjoy yourself. If not, what's the point? Enjoy yourself!!

15 people doesn't sound like a large group .... perhaps you should open it up to include a few, maybe several, brethren ???:-D

15lb brisket and 8lb pork butt should be plenty for 15 people. Ive cooked for 15-20 people with a 12lb brisket and 6lb butt, and still had leftovers. Just make sure you slice brisket thin because most people will grab 2-3 slices no matter how thick, which could make the difference between 1/4lb or 1/2lb per serving. Keep in mind, i made a lot of sides.

Thank yall! I'll let you know how it turns out when I finally rally myself and do it. Good tip on adding in the sides, didn't even occur to me in my initial thought of putting this together, haha. We have them at bbq restaurants, but somehow in my thought process it never popped into my head!

I've done parties with 15 and with sides, apps and dessert one brisket or butt is just enough for that many. of course we usually have a few kids running around. if you have any kind of decent spread being served one brisket and one butt should be plenty

I usually shoot for 1lb. Of food per person. 1/2lb protein, then two 1/4 lb sides. You can also supplement with some rolls or whatever but not necessary.

Only time you’ll run out is if you do two proteins like chicken and shrimp or something like that. People will kill the shrimp but everyone will still eat

Back