THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like that sliding chimney damper. Never seen that before. Can you open both at same time?

Yes - can open both at the same time - but also comes with a deflector plate if you want to set up as a vertical/indirect cooker - and just have one of the two vents opened

Thats a really nice looking cooker! I keep considering ordering a Chud Box, but they are backed up a long time and I dont really need one...but I love the idea of a raised, direct ire cooker

Thats a really nice looking cooker! I keep considering ordering a Chud Box, but they are backed up a long time and I dont really need one...but I love the idea of a raised, direct ire cooker

I didn’t need one either - but all the videos of direct heat cooking started coming out and pulled the trigger

Last couple build photos - getting delivered on Saturday - going to clean her up, grape seed oil the inside and grates, mineral spirits on the outside, then get a good fire going and apply a food grade linseed oil to the outside - hope to throw some ribs on for its maiden voyage

I am going to add some firebricks to the bottom of the cooker to help protect the bottom and for heat retention

Fire basket can also be moved up to the second level for high heat grilling

They just need to finish up the grates and the deflection plate, and add the temp gauges and shelves - and it will be ready to go. Jeff and John at Royale Fab have been great to work with

I had a direct heat steel pit built about 20 years ago when I lived in Tx. It was modeled off the pits at Cooper’s they USED to use. Grates were 2 ft above the coals and there was 1 ft between the grate and the lid. It sat on the ground. Worked good for that style of cooking. I got tired of the grease smoke flavor and sold it.

Hojo that build is looking great. I am with you on firebricks. Great not only for bottom of cooker but also on the heat deflector. So underrated. Who needs 3/8 steel when you've got 1.25" firebricks?!

They are going to coat the outside with oil - tomorrow I will hit the inside and grates with grape seed oil, throw another lawyer of linseed oil on the outside and run it for a few hours - then going to toss on some dino ribs, venison meatloaf and some venison brats

Outstanding plan !!!

Back