THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow-Cal-BBQ

Name or Nickame
Stephen
For those of you who wonder how smoking ribs vertically (not flat) works on a weber 26", I'll give some insight. These ribs took about 5 hours at around 235 degrees. I use a SnS XL and love it! I had to rotate them once, half way through the cook. I only moved the front rack to the rear and the rear to the front. The ribs in the middle cooked evenly. I was able to form a nice crispy bark since they were naked! If you wanted to wrap them cooking this way, I don’t know how that would work because after being wrapped, the juices would pool at the bottom and would only baste one end of the rack. If they lay flat, it bastes the whole meat side. I prefer my ribs naked because I am a texture guy and they come out extra crispy if done naked. I found no need to spritz. They came out somewhere between pull-off and fall-off the bone. How did you do your ribs for the 4th?!

BTW, the racks I placed the ribs on are a couple of pot lid racks from Ikea. they are only around 8 bucks each and they expand and contract as you want for room. They are stainless steel. If you buy them, you only have to pull the rubber pads off and they are ready to go!

Attachments

Nice!

I rack 4 slabs on my 22" Kettle a few times a season. Also rotate the front and rear racks once.

I should probably throw down and get a Slow N' Sear. How are they with lump coal?

I have not experimented with lump charcoal yet. I currently don't see the need to use it. maybe I would use it for cooking poultry because I hear it burns hotter, but does not last as long. As far as the SNS goes, I love it! All the naysayer's claim you don't need one and it is a waste of money. Maybe they are right about not needing one. There are plenty of methods to slow cook using a weber. To me, the SNS is completely worth it because it makes the process 100X easier! No more stacking snakes or building barriers and setting up water pans. I say spend the money and you will not be disappointed....

Bottom vents open about 1/4" and top vent open about 1/3. I use a Thermoworks Smoke to monitor the temp. Did not have to adjust it except for every couple of hours or longer....

I have not experimented with lump charcoal yet. I currently don't see the need to use it. maybe I would use it for cooking poultry because I hear it burns hotter, but does not last as long. As far as the SNS goes, I love it! All the naysayer's claim you don't need one and it is a waste of money. Maybe they are right about not needing one. There are plenty of methods to slow cook using a weber. To me, the SNS is completely worth it because it makes the process 100X easier! No more stacking snakes or building barriers and setting up water pans. I say spend the money and you will not be disappointed....

Thanks for the reply.

Lump is my preference (I also use a ceramic grill) and not really interested in having two different types of coal for cooking.

I've gone sixteen years without a SNS (my parents fifty) but it does appear to make life a little easier.

Back